Supergupo

Noob
Oct 6, 2012
So, I shall start my very first poll with one of my favourite games: Dark Souls.

It does NOT matter what your preference is playing the game, whether its hacking at enemies, blasting them with magic, or sniping them with a bow. It is SOULy (get it?) up to your own opinion on how you choose.

In my own personal opinion, I would HAVE to choose the Pyromancer, due to it having a strong magic off the bat, strong starting stats, allowing you to tank hits and hit enemies with an axe, and mainly, it can throw fireballs like a badass.

May 23, 2009
I have to choose between Knight or the Thief.

Master Key REALLY doesn't matter since none of the other gifts are all that great to begin with. Yeah you can use Black Firebombs to snuff out the Asylum Demon on your first go around, but I don't since he doesn't really drop anything worth while. There's the Witches Ring, but once you've heard it once...

The Bandits Knife the Thief starts out with is really the only reason I'm picking him. Makes Havel slightly easier, but is quick to swing and causes bleeding. Makes the return trip to the Asylum even easier. Low vitality and armor means jack since i'll switch it at the nearest opportunity and the incredibly OP Heater Shield allows for complete negation of damage when necessary. Buy a smitar and I can pretty much tank everything if I wanted to until I get to the point where I can get better stuff.

Plus when I named one of my thieves Jill, I picked a second Master Key as her gift and role-played the Master of Unlocking. Activated the Channeler's Trident before unlocked anything. Actually, before I opened anything since I couldn't remember what was supposed to be locked or not. You wouldn't believe the festivities when I placed the Lord Souls.

EDIT: Whoa. Boards got a new look in the years since I was gone. Not bad I guess.

Last edited:

Killer_K1

No Longer a Noob
Dec 18, 2004
Knight. Got a good amount of everything to start with in case you change your mind about something. Nice starting gear. Hasn't failed me for either game. Looks cool.

Feb 15, 2013
Havel Is easy to kill all you have to do is dodge his attacks and stab him in the back. Just wear light armor. The Old With's Ring allows you to talk to Quelaan Quelaag's sister.

Feb 15, 2013
Ha ha ha! Silly noobs there's only 5 good starting classes: Warrior, Bandit, Sorcerer, Pyromancer or Deprived. Both the Warrior and the Bandit are basically the same seeing as how they both have decent starting gear. The Sorcerer and Pyromancer both start with magical abilities so that gives them a good starting edge. Last but defiantly not least the Deprived are an amazing depiction of how Dark Dark Souls should be instead of the p**sy s**t treatment you get. The Deprived is the only class suitable for the Dark Souls elite because it delivers the more realistic and sad approach about the fact that there's no way that the main character would have anything in the asylum. But personally I think the warrior is the best because the starting gear is the most decent (excluding the knight armor set which will just drag you down). The thing which undoubtedly makes the warrior class the best though is the fact the you can get the elite armor set quite quickly in the game (thus making the starting knight armor set useless) and also get Havel's ring (this will make it ok to use a heavier armor set) quickly if you get the master key as a starting gift. But then again there was a reason why I picked these 5 of the starting classes was because they are the most useful and fun classes to start with. It really doesn't matter which class you pick because they are all fun (as long as you picked one of the 5 I listed, otherwise you picked incorrectly).

scottbot44

Noob
Dec 12, 2010
Pyromancer if you're new. Makes asylum demon easy without choosing black firebombs. Warrior is my choice otherwise. It really doesn't matter near the middle/end of a play through.

Misach

Noob
Jan 31, 2014
In my opinion, the best late game duelist class is the Thief. If you get your dexterity, strength, endurance, and vitality up high enough, you can deal a lot of damage by punishing the people that make mistakes, and yet still take a lot of damage.
However, despite the pain staking early game he is very useful when it's taking out an enemy one at a time and blocking a lot of incoming damage. Maybe he's not the best boss fighter, but upgrade weapons, and add in your high dexterity, it makes it a lot easier

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2014
you can make Havel even easier by just parrying him. thats what i always do. he only has 1 attack so its real easy and quicker than backstabs

Rimdog

Noob
Feb 9, 2011
Ha ha ha! Silly noobs there's only 5 good starting classes: Warrior, Bandit, Sorcerer, Pyromancer or Deprived. Both the Warrior and the Bandit are basically the same seeing as how they both have decent starting gear. The Sorcerer and Pyromancer both start with magical abilities so that gives them a good starting edge. Last but defiantly not least the Deprived are an amazing depiction of how Dark Dark Souls should be instead of the p**sy s**t treatment you get. The Deprived is the only class suitable for the Dark Souls elite because it delivers the more realistic and sad approach about the fact that there's no way that the main character would have anything in the asylum. But personally I think the warrior is the best because the starting gear is the most decent (excluding the knight armor set which will just drag you down). The thing which undoubtedly makes the warrior class the best though is the fact the you can get the elite armor set quite quickly in the game (thus making the starting knight armor set useless) and also get Havel's ring (this will make it ok to use a heavier armor set) quickly if you get the master key as a starting gift. But then again there was a reason why I picked these 5 of the starting classes was because they are the most useful and fun classes to start with. It really doesn't matter which class you pick because they are all fun (as long as you picked one of the 5 I listed, otherwise you picked incorrectly).

So you say there are only 5 good starting classes , you then say Warrior , sorcerer & pyro are good because you start with stuff but then say deprived because you have nothing? Thats very "noobish"

I think all the classes are great , and any true dark souls player knows the Hunter class is actually the hardest to master , have you tried using a short sword and bow and arrow the whole game??

Feb 5, 2014
I have to choose between Knight or the Thief.

Master Key REALLY doesn't matter since none of the other gifts are all that great to begin with. Yeah you can use Black Firebombs to snuff out the Asylum Demon on your first go around, but I don't since he doesn't really drop anything worth while. There's the Witches Ring, but once you've heard it once...

The Bandits Knife the Thief starts out with is really the only reason I'm picking him. Makes Havel slightly easier, but is quick to swing and causes bleeding. Makes the return trip to the Asylum even easier. Low vitality and armor means jack since i'll switch it at the nearest opportunity and the incredibly OP Heater Shield allows for complete negation of damage when necessary. Buy a smitar and I can pretty much tank everything if I wanted to until I get to the point where I can get better stuff.

Plus when I named one of my thieves Jill, I picked a second Master Key as her gift and role-played the Master of Unlocking. Activated the Channeler's Trident before unlocked anything. Actually, before I opened anything since I couldn't remember what was supposed to be locked or not. You wouldn't believe the festivities when I placed the Lord Souls.

EDIT: Whoa. Boards got a new look in the years since I was gone. Not bad I guess.

Thief also has higher item discovery than other classes its minimal but it makes a different when the very first black knight drops his weapon and you end up 2 shooting Taurus demon 3 shooting Bell Gargoyle and destroying Havel......

Jun 20, 2016
I say that the cleric would be a good starting character. The cleric would be good because it can deal large amounts of damage and can heal without Festus flasks. Also later game you can get very powerful miracles.

But to be honest a knight is quite good because that char can beef a few attacks and has 100% physical absorption so it can block without taking damage.

May 28, 2017
So, I shall start my very first poll with one of my favourite games: Dark Souls.

It does NOT matter what your preference is playing the game, whether its hacking at enemies, blasting them with magic, or sniping them with a bow. It is SOULy (get it?) up to your own opinion on how you choose.

In my own personal opinion, I would HAVE to choose the Pyromancer, due to it having a strong magic off the bat, strong starting stats, allowing you to tank hits and hit enemies with an axe, and mainly, it can throw fireballs like a badass.

My favorite is the cleric. If you get the lightning spear miracle from the Way of light covenant, you will destroy every boss till O and S. Just get your faith to 25