Jan 15, 2018
My 12 year old son has known about the Grand Theft Auto series since he was about 5, I caught him watching some YouTube videos of Vice City and GTA 4 of someone starting a mass shooting in the games and obviously he wasn't near old enough to play it.

Now he's in middle school and all of his friends are playing it (specifically GTA 5) and some have even 100% completed the story mode which surprises me that their parents would let them. I honestly feel bad for my son since he has been left out from playing a game that all of his other friends have played.

So I've been thinking that maybe I'd let him play one of the GTA games (that isn't 5 unless you can disable the story mode somehow and definitely not 4). I've been thinking about purchasing him GTA 3 since it's honestly not that bad in my opinion and I may let him play parts of the story mode since I would want him to get access to the entirety of Liberty City.

But I've never found 3 too interesting (VC will always be my favorite) and I want him to play something that he'll play for at least half a year. Maybe let him play one game at a time and once he gets older I'll let him play the titles with more mature content (like 4 or 5)?

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions in the comments. Thanks.

DaViD_MiLLs

Defective
Jan 10, 2005
I still don't let my son play GTA but he's been playing it in a limited role since he was 5. He started out just driving the cars(obviously he liked them) without sound. Then he moved on to sound when he was about 7, yes even with all that language. I told him that he couldn't curse, he would have his whole life to cuss but while he was younger he simply can't say it.

I had to ground him from the game a couple of times because he would say curse words at first(all kids do once they learn them anyway) but since then we haven't had a problem with it. He's 13 now and he's moved on to weapons and killing people. He knows it's a video game and obviously knows killing people is not acceptable(as do all the adults playing it I hope). The only thing left is the sexual nature of GTA.

Not sure when he'll get to that part but I've kept really good track of his internet activities and so far I don't think he's been exposed to the horrible shit on the internet. In fact we almost got him GTA 5 for Christmas but decided not to.

I say let him play the story but tell him he can't pick up any women standing on the sides of the road or do anything other than play the missions. But that's just me maybe it's too violent for your standards.

Evil-i

"Call me Ishmael."
May 24, 2008
For sheer fun of playing in a large explorable game world loaded with great characters and "over the top" foolishness like jet packs, perhaps GTA San Andreas would be a good starting point.

In my opinion, stepping aside from GTA, if you want your child to have a lot of good clean fun, maybe you should consider The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.