Myrosia

Noob
Oct 22, 2019
Hey guys.

I'm leasing this car new since last year Nov. Since getting the car, my gas mileage has been horrible. It states I should be getting 26 MPG city 32 MPG highway.

The best I ever get is 19 MPG.

I've taken it to dealer 3 times. They updated ECM. And said they find nothing wrong.

I'm frustrated because I got this car for good gas mileage. Now it's worse since I got it back from the dealer. Getting 17-19 MPG.

I drive carefully and not heavy.

Any suggestions what I should do now and next step? I feel this is a lemon maybe.

Thanks

Chevalier_Schiff

Rehinged
Aug 2, 2007
How many miles?
Can't go wrong with seafoam package treatment. One can in a near empty gas tank, half a can in oil for 100 miles or so(then change oil) then do the spray version in the air intake.

Easier just to youtube the directions.

Check tire PSI, low air in tires(outside of mechanical issues) will drastically affect mileage.

Myrosia

Noob
Oct 22, 2019
How many miles?
Can't go wrong with seafoam package treatment. One can in a near empty gas tank, half a can in oil for 100 miles or so(then change oil) then do the spray version in the air intake.

Easier just to youtube the directions.

Check tire PSI, low air in tires(outside of mechanical issues) will drastically affect mileage.

It's a new car. Only 8.000 miles

Chevalier_Schiff

Rehinged
Aug 2, 2007
All I can suggest now really is throwing some seafoam in the tank then switch gas stations for a little while.

Most of the gas stations in my town carry garbage fuel, so I have to hop around.

Sagara-san

wandering my way through time
★ MOD
Sep 9, 2008
Under a Tree
what fuel grade do you use? usually turbo engines only perform well on premium (like 91 octane or higher).

blinkz0rz

Don't forget to bring a towel.
Aug 10, 2008
Calatia
what fuel grade do you use? usually turbo engines only perform well on premium (like 91 octane or higher).
Depends. The new 1.5t Civics don't need premium and get 40+mpg. However, the Si model is a higher tuned engine and recommends premium. You can feel a power loss/lag when using regular octane. I still get 40-42mpg in my Si with premium even though they rated it for 38mpg lol.

3d502479544c43c91eb85e845d0eeb44.jpg

Last edited:

Sagara-san

wandering my way through time
★ MOD
Sep 9, 2008
Under a Tree

I use Shell gas at 87 octane.

Also, why do I need to use seafoam on a new car?
worth a shot going to 91 for a tank. with my old 2.3 ecoboost, it made a difference both in gas mileage and performance. not sure if it's much for your car, but it's worth a try.

don't know the seafoam thing....

blinkzorz, you are right that it depends and some turbo cars can do 87 like you've proven. i'm just offering a suggestion based on my own experiences.

Chevalier_Schiff

Rehinged
Aug 2, 2007
I'm not sure what else to suggest, Seafoam for a car with such low miles shouldn't be necessary.

Fuel grade or fuel quality issues is about the only other thing I can think of atm.

blinkz0rz

Aug 10, 2008
Calatia
I'm not sure what else to suggest, Seafoam for a car with such low miles shouldn't be necessary.

Fuel grade or fuel quality issues is about the only other thing I can think of atm.
I can only think that a tune-up would help, replacing all the ignition parts and fuel filter (if it is separate from the pump)

The car is a 2019 model, right? You mentioned 8k on mileage. Is your driving primarily all city? Stop and go driving greatly affects the mpg. They way that they rate the fuel consumption is heavily biased.

Like I said, I am getting 42mpg highway on a car that was rated 38mpg highway.

Chevalier_Schiff

Rehinged
Aug 2, 2007
I can only think that a tune-up would help, replacing all the ignition parts and fuel filter (if it is separate from the pump)

The car is a 2019 model, right? You mentioned 8k on mileage. Is your driving primarily all city? Stop and go driving greatly affects the mpg. They way that they rate the fuel consumption is heavily biased.

Like I said, I am getting 42mpg highway on a car that was rated 38mpg highway.

Possible it could help, but damn a tune up so early.. It's possible if you the car had some really low quality gas long enough.
(secretly jelly as mine only gets 11/18mpg)

This may be an odd question OP, but have you tried calculating your mileage the old school way?
While new vehicles have very accurate computer readings, I can't help but think they could be wrong occasionally.

Could also just be an Ecrapnox thing.. Never really heard great things about this model.

Chevalier_Schiff

Rehinged
Aug 2, 2007
I wonder if OP is going based off the monitor, or doing old school math.
I only get 18mpg avg highway despite the monitor saying 20.5 - 21mpg.

Basically even in new vehicles, I don't trust their MPG monitors 100%

blinkz0rz

Aug 10, 2008
Calatia
I wonder if OP is going based off the monitor, or doing old school math.
I only get 18mpg avg highway despite the monitor saying 20.5 - 21mpg.

Basically even in new vehicles, I don't trust their MPG monitors 100%
Lol, my monitor is 95% correct. It will say 41.8mpg and when I do the mileage math during a full fill up (I always do this to make mpg math easy) I usually end up over 42mpg.