Dirty-Three

No Longer a Noob
Oct 7, 2005
It was Dawn of Dreams. A truly epic masterpiece, although I felt Fortinbras' human form was a bit too easy for a final boss. Perhaps it was because I was very prepared for the battle. Is 4 the best of the series? Does it matter if I play 1 - 3 in chronological order?

LisaB1138

Older than most, smarter than the average bear
Apr 23, 2004
Most of the regulars here don't consider DoD to be the best of the series, and a couple of us don't feel it's Onimusha at all. Too cutesy anime-ish for me.

I do recommend playing the game in order. While 2 features a different hero and is somewhat of a side story, there is a progression in gameplay that I think would make it frustrating to backtrack. 1 $ 3 feature the same hero.

BTW, if you have an Xbox I recommend playing Onimusha Genma instead of Onimusha Warlords for the PS2. Genma has a lot of added gameplay and is a tougher game overall.

Ryan6192

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 23, 2004
congrats, tho was it really neccasry to make a thread about it, also i heard it isnt a good game, you should play the prevoius ones [face_peace]

legacyAccount

Old Account
Nov 10, 2011
Dirty-Three said:
It was Dawn of Dreams. A truly epic masterpiece, although I felt Fortinbras' human form was a bit too easy for a final boss. Perhaps it was because I was very prepared for the battle. Is 4 the best of the series? Does it matter if I play 1 - 3 in chronological order?

Heh, DOD of dreams is regarded by many as the tarnish upon Onimusha's otherwise glorious crown. It is a good game, just not magnificent; but as an 'Onimusha' game- it really does not compared to it's forebears. It is understandable that it brought many new fans to the series, due to it's new characters and game-play aspects; however a very select few of the old Onimusha fans favoured DOD over it's predecessors.

You should definitely try out the first 3, and preferably playing them in order. 2 is the sort of Nomadic game, that has no real place in the whole story, but it is a marvelous game nevertheless. It shall also introduce you to the origins of a few of the characters within DOD, such as Munenori, Akane(Jubei)Yagyu and Ohatsu.

It also takes real historical characters and adds the Onimusha flare and implements them within the game. Definitely worth looking in to.

Onimusha 1 is where it all began: introducing Samanosuke as the main protagonist of the tale, modelled upon the actor Takeshi Kaneshiro (house of flying daggers, Returner, Confessions of Pain) as he tries to locate the whereabouts of the kidnapped Princess Yuki and who was lying beneath. Joined upon his quest by Kaede, a female ninja and friend.

Onimusha 2 breaks off from 1, and does not spend an awful lot of time bridging the the little relations between the games. Jubei Yagyu, based upon the well known actor Yusaka Matsuda <deceased> (Black rain, Onimaru), is the main protagonist who swiftly returns home to his village after hearing that Nobunaga seeks revenge, only to find it has been burnt to the ground; with his family and friends massacred during the onslaught at the hand of Nobunaga and his army. He sets out to locate and slay Nobunaga and his genma army. He meets Oyu, Magoichi, Ekei and Kotaro during his travels, who assist him after he earns their trust. A lot of new elements brought in for Oni 2.

Onimusha 3 sees the glorious return of Samanosuke, again not dwindling much upon the endeavours from Onimusha 2, just progressing with the new tale minus the odd whisper. Essentially a stripped down version of Onimusha 2, while bringing in new elements,weapons ect. Jacques joins the cast in this game, a French Special Forces agent- based upon the french actor Jean Reno (Leon, Ronin, The Big Blue).

The game is set in Modern day France and old Japan as the two protagonists switch time-lines as they encounter new, and old, foes, while they try to return to their respective time lines in order to slay Nobunaga and the demon army.

Snake-Eater3

I don't need a title...
Aug 31, 2004

Honestly, Dawn of Dreams was an average game at best and I didn't like it. It's not really a part of the Onimusha series, not really a part of the games that made this series a great one.

Play Oni 1-3 and you will experience true greatness. Then you will know why many fans of the series dislike DoD. If you think Oni4 was an epic masterpiece then you won't even find any words to describe the greatness of the other games

Anyway, have fun [face_peace]

LisaB1138

Older than most, smarter than the average bear
Apr 23, 2004
I can't add much the two above didn't already say. I just popped in to glomp Red. *glomps*