sponge7325

Noob
Mar 23, 2013
Okay, so, here's the deal. I'm planning on getting Fire Emblem: Awakening soon, and need some advice, once I get it, should I play on Casual mode? I've played a few Fire Emblem games before on my friends 3DS, and I wasn't very good at them, so I was thinking I should play on casual mode so I can play through without having to worry about only having 2 units at the end of a battle and have it stay like that, but then I started reading on how Fire Emblem is only fun if you're really afraid of your units being killed.

So yeah, if you guys can, please straighten me out on this, I would be ever so thankful.

YourVeryOwnGeek

Hey kid, I'm a computer.
Jun 11, 2007
If it's your first Fire Emblem that you plan to play to completion, play Classic. You can ease yourself into the rest of the series with less stress if you don't dodge that mechanic. If you're playing on normal difficulty you probably won't die unless you do something stupid, so consider losing a unit (and the subsequent reset) your punishment for doing something stupid.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2009
I'm playing my second Casual game and it's still just as fun. Yeah, some of the fun is keeping everyone alive, but sometimes it's fun to just say F it all and throw all your troops into the front and see who wins.

Roomazoom

Noob
Mar 14, 2013
If the fun from Fire Emblem comes from its challenge to you, then play classic. There is no challenge if there is no real threat, which is the chance your units might die, casual removes that threat.

If you're just going to grind the living daylights out of this game, until it is gasping for breath on the floor, play casual, because midmap saves are extremely useful for RNG manipulation.

Cartman513

No Longer a Noob
Aug 4, 2004
I mean I guess it's up to you, really. If the idea of having to restart chapters whenever you lose someone sounds like a waste of time to you, I'd say play Casual, especially if characters dying on you was a huge problem for you with the other FE games you played.

Mar 6, 2013
United States
Okay, so, here's the deal. I'm planning on getting Fire Emblem: Awakening soon, and need some advice, once I get it, should I play on Casual mode? I've played a few Fire Emblem games before on my friends 3DS, and I wasn't very good at them, so I was thinking I should play on casual mode so I can play through without having to worry about only having 2 units at the end of a battle and have it stay like that, but then I started reading on how Fire Emblem is only fun if you're really afraid of your units being killed.

So yeah, if you guys can, please straighten me out on this, I would be ever so thankful.
I prefer casual myself, as this my first Fire Emblem game. I'm still working on getting all the kids and paralouges and if one of the characters I plan to make a parent dies......you know....that doesn't work out very well.....