CptOats89

Almost Not a Noob
Aug 24, 2013
I'm playing Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow for the first time and am surprised at how much I've been enjoying it. I enjoy the little RPG touches. I love the art style for the characters. I appreciate how you learn from your mistakes by studying the nuances of each enemy. Exploring the map is truly a blast.

Outside of the original on NES, this is the first Castlevania game I've played. It's safe to say that I'm a Castlevania convert now. So are most of the games in the series like this, or is this just one type a Castlevania game can be?

Karkashan

Loyal Grimleal
★ MOD
May 17, 2013
Plegia
Symphony of the Night, Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclessia are the other Castlevania games are in the "Metroidvania" style. That's only about 20 percent of all Castlevania games. Mirror of Fate is similar as well, but can feel too different to some people.

The older games were more about levels (with some of the later games having branching paths), the 3D games are widely different between the generations (64 was very much a N64 style game, Lament and Curse are a cross-up of DMC and the RPG-stylings of Aria, Harmony, and Lords of Shadow is a level based game with combat that is enhanced on the foundation that Lament and Curse built with a fantastically epic story), and there is a couple of spin-offs that are pretty wild compared to the norm - Judgement is a 3D fighter, of all things, and there are several pachinko Castlevania games.

praisegrima