Jun 12, 2006
Midgar
Their music with the Cavalera brothers was heavy as shit, as well as it is today.

From Beneath the Remains to Roots, those albums are still listenable to this day in the scene of thrash metal music. Beneath the Remains and Arise are easily their best albums they have ever recorded, as well as being considered the greatest albums of all-time in history of metal. Since Max Cavalera left, they will never be same as they were, and new they're missing with a bit of nu metal scene with their second singer named Derrick Green. By the quote of Allmusic, "There was a time when the idea of Sepultura recording without Max Cavalera seemed unlikeable. But the incendiary Green turned out to be a fine replacement." Correct, but not as astonishing as the old Sepultura (Max Cavalera era); at least, their concept albums, Dante XXI and A-Lex, were very good. After A-Lex, it went downhill since.

All in all, Sepultura w/ Cavalera bros were such a powerful band with heavy, aggressive and raw sounds at the time, along with Chuck Schuldiner's Death. Throughout the years, the old Sepultura has been continuously praised by the critics, fans and musicians alike, not only as a landmark releases [Beneath the Remains and Arise] of Sepultura's career, but of extreme metal in general.

\m/

Blugeoner86

The owls are not what they seem
Jun 27, 2001
I like 'Roots Bloody Roots' and 'Chaos AD'. That's about it.

Chaos AD was my introduction to the band but considered their decline. You gotta give Arise and Beneath the Remains a chance and Morbid Visions for Kate. [face_tongue]

That being said, despite the decline, I liked Nation. Roorback was ok and Dante XXI and A-Lex were interesting (A-Lex was about A Clockwork Orange). I have Kairos too. Don't remember much about it doe. [face_tongue]

Carryduffp

No Longer a Noob
Aug 31, 2011
(Northern) Ireland
I listened to Arise a few years ago and really liked it. Listenced to Schizophrenia yesterday and I loved it, especially the long instrumental.

I think I'll listen to more of their stuff now.

LoxxO)))

Star
Oct 2, 2005
Washington
I've heard those albums, Bluge. Last time I tried listening to old Sepultura again was like 2 years ago? I just couldn't get into it. Which was their very first? I remember thinking it was just terrible. Honestly, I like Soulfly more because it's got a bit of groove at times. Which is why I like those two songs so much. From what I remember and when I try to listen again, it's mainly just straight forward and not a lot of that tribal feel that those songs have. If I'm wrong, let me know and I might give it another go.

Blugeoner86

The owls are not what they seem
Jun 27, 2001
Bestial Devistation EP or Morbid Visions would be their first.
Yeah I suppose they have groovy songs, but I'm confused you want to hear the tribal sound or not hear the tribal sound? [face_tongue]

What about something like this?

I guess the main thing to know is Sepultura is primarily a thrash band with some groovy parts while Soulfly is just a nu-metal band with Max cussing every five words. Your disappointment probably stems from what you expected to hear and what you ended up with. I mean, this is a great song plz love

[face_tongue]

DRExLOC

No Longer a Noob
Aug 8, 2007
For me Sepultura ended with Roots.

Schizophrenia
, Beneath the Remains and Arise are not only some of the best thrash, but amongst the best metal albums of all time. Three absolute classics.

X-pert74

cute
Feb 27, 2002
Bestial Devastation and Morbid Visions are by far my favorite things Sepultura has done.

They are wonderful and raw and awesome and beautiful. <3 <3 <3

I've enjoyed some stuff Sepultura has done since then, like Beneath the Remains, but today they're like a completely different band. A far cry from the almost proto-death/black metally thrash metal that they once were.

You gotta give Arise and Beneath the Remains a chance and Morbid Visions for Kate. [face_tongue]

[face_batting]

AGrumpyAnt

Noob
Apr 9, 2015
Chaos A.D. was the third album I listened too that bound my soul to metal. (Master of Puppets followed by Far beyond Driven).

Still one of my all time fav bands.

SatoshiNak

Noob
Dec 14, 2015
Houston, Texas
I dig Sepultura up to and including Chaos AD, Beneath The Remains and Arise were always my favorites but lately I've rediscovered Schizophrenia and it has become a favorite - that album is full of sick riffage! Never could get into much off of Roots and lost interest in the band after that.