SinisterAngel606

Uncanny X-Fan
Jan 6, 2006
Welcome all to another season of ACC basketball!

Complete schedule of all games featuring ACC teams this year:
http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/acc-m-baskbl-sched-full.html

Three dates immediately come to mind when I look at this schedule. February 10th, March 6th and March 11th. The first two are when Duke and UNC play each other and the last is when the ACC tournament starts. But that's hardly all to see when you look at the season.

Most teams have already began conference play by this point, but there are a few who haven't. My baby Heels still have to play College Of Charleston tomorrow, but then they jump into play against Virginia Tech on January 10th.

Some non-conf games to watch this week are GT versus Georgia and Duke versus Iowa State. After that the matchups really begin to heat up. The Yellowjackets play host to the Blue Devils, Boston College travels down to Clemson and Florida State hopes to lay waste to the Terrapins. It looks to be an exciting second half of the basketball season.

Standings: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/conferences/standings?confId=2

sonicblast6923

Gaming and Family Life
May 16, 2004
I'm really excited about ACC play this year even though the ACC is down a little. I still think it can make a big jump and some of the teams will show great improvement. I hope Duke continues to play lights out like they have. I would hope they do lose about 1 or 2 more before tournament time though.

Raccoon2117

Still unknown after all these years
Oct 12, 2002
My Deacs are making it hard to watch them with all these close wins.

I'm hoping they take care of business in Miami on Saturday. Maybe it was Teague and Johnson, but last year this team seemed to make it a point to exact revenge on whomever insulted them the year prior (see: Boston College). Hopefully the other guys feel the same way.

SinisterAngel606

Uncanny X-Fan
Jan 6, 2006
LOL, I seem to remember something about the counting of chickens before they hatch, a lesson Duke didn't learn in 2006 when we had a similar team. [image=http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/8672/futility9apcopy7ak.jpg]

I hope everyone is getting this. I don't goad Duke fans into saying these outrageous things, they just happen.

MZizzle2

#1 Heels Fan
Oct 29, 2006
Just because UNC had a bad loss to CofC doesn't mean that all of the sudden they are not a good team. They are still going to compete for the ACC title and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they swept Duke. Duke is playing great right now, but things change over the course of the season as we have seen in the past few years with Duke. 

Raccoon2117

Oct 12, 2002
I still have no idea who Duke's most reliable big man is.

I feel like I've had this question since Shelden Williams graduated.

SinisterAngel606

Uncanny X-Fan
Jan 6, 2006
Just curious but does anyone want to offer their opinion of what will happen in the UNC-Clemson game tomorrow? I think it'll be a hard fought victory for whoever wins. Littlejohn is always a tough place for Carolina to play, but I think UNC can pull it out. Carolina doesn't have the best guards but I they are better than Clemson's backcourt. However, I think it will be the winner of the frontcourt matchup that determines the winner.

Does anyone want to give their conference predictions?
I'll guess that the ACC gets 6 bids, which go to Duke, Carolina, GT, Clemson, FSU and Miami.

Arvbark

No Longer a Noob
May 29, 2005
Tomorrow's game will definitely come down to Carolina's guard play. Clemson likes to full court press throughout the game. If Carolina can take advantage of that then they should be able to get enough easy baskets to win. However, if Carolina struggles against the press then they will be in a lot of trouble. Unfortunately for Carolina they have had troubles with turnovers this year so they could be in a lot of trouble tomorrow.

sonicblast6923

Gaming and Family Life
May 16, 2004
SinisterAngel606 said:
Just curious but does anyone want to offer their opinion of what will happen in the UNC-Clemson game tomorrow? I think it'll be a hard fought victory for whoever wins. Littlejohn is always a tough place for Carolina to play, but I think UNC can pull it out. Carolina doesn't have the best guards but I they are better than Clemson's backcourt. However, I think it will be the winner of the frontcourt matchup that determines the winner.

Does anyone want to give their conference predictions?
I'll guess that the ACC gets 6 bids, which go to Duke, Carolina, GT, Clemson, FSU and Miami.

The only thing I see holding UNC back is the full court press. If they manage to exploit that, they will blow out Clemson. If Duke loses tonight, I'm throwing in the towel against BC.

I see Duke, UNC, GT, Miami, Clemson, and Wake Forest. I think FSU will fold like they always do.

SinisterAngel606

Uncanny X-Fan
Jan 6, 2006
@ sonicblast-- It's tough to predict who will go to the tourney from the ACC. Duke, UNC and GT are locks IMO, and the next group is a veritable toss up.
Clemson has talent but unless I'm underestimating them, I don't think they're that strong. I expect good efforts from Maryland and Wake, but haven't seen them enough to know how good they are. I think either or both could falter. BC has talent but no Tyrese Rice. They were only a 7 seed with him last year, so how good could they be without him? Miami I initially didn't expect much from, but I think they will get to the big dance. How far they go is up to them, but I really only expect UNC Duke and GT to do any damage. The rest will be lucky to get there and might be fortunate enough to win one game. FSU is good but always seem to choke. Like last night, they're playing NC State and Scott Wood was on fire. They couldn't shut him down. It's like they have this gene that won't let them excel even when they have good players or coaches. I was fooled with them last year, I won't be this year. Even if they get a bid it will be disappointment city all over again.
NC State and the Virginia teams are who I expect to be cellar dwellers. But if there is one team I think could be a true sleeper it would be Virginia. These three probably won't go anywhere. If they're smart they'll look to 2011 sooner than the rest and try to get a jump on them.

chrisb101

Almost Not a Noob
Feb 22, 2003
MZizzle2 said:
Just because UNC had a bad loss to CofC doesn't mean that all of the sudden they are not a good team. They are still going to compete for the ACC title and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they swept Duke.

The team I'm watching right now in no way resembles a conference title contender, and while they're a good team I have to question whether or not they are even a top 25 team. Then again maybe I'd feel differently if I was wearing Carolina Blue glasses.

DaaaaaBears

Super Star
May 30, 2006
chrisb101 said:
MZizzle2 said:
Just because UNC had a bad loss to CofC doesn't mean that all of the sudden they are not a good team. They are still going to compete for the ACC title and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they swept Duke.

The team I'm watching right now in no way resembles a conference title contender, and while they're a good team I have to question whether or not they are even a top 25 team. Then again maybe I'd feel differently if I was wearing Carolina Blue glasses.

Agreed. North Carolina has MONSTER talent waiting in the wings, but I'm going to give them a year or two before I can think of them as contenders.

MZizzle2

#1 Heels Fan
Oct 29, 2006
I don't think they will win the ACC, but they definitely will be in the running for most of the season.  That is what I mean by being a contender for the ACC title. UNC is having a down year and I will be the first to admit that, but its not so bad that they won't compete in the ACC. Compared to what us UNC fans are used to in the past few years, this year is going to be tough, but its going to be a building block for next year where we are going to be a real contender to win it all. 

SinisterAngel606

Uncanny X-Fan
Jan 6, 2006
Parity. We has it. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/conferences/standings?confID=2

doa3_master said:
God bless you Clemson, God bless you.
I know what you mean. I was thinking that same thing February 4th last year.

chrisb101 said:
MZizzle2 said:

After watching that debacle I'm inclined to agree with you, and you guys know I'm Carolina blue inside out. A team that gets manhandled by Clemson like this and outplayed by CoC doesn't deserve to be ranked.

Raccoon2117

Oct 12, 2002
SinisterAngel606 said:
After watching that debacle I'm inclined to agree with you, and you guys know I'm Carolina blue inside out. A team that gets manhandled by Clemson like this and outplayed by CoC doesn't deserve to be ranked.

And yet, despite if they lose to Georgia Tech, they will end up ranked around 17 next week.

SinisterAngel606

Uncanny X-Fan
Jan 6, 2006
No, it will be about 20th I'd guess. A loss or two people can forgive at this point. But five right now, regardless of competition really starts to weigh on voters' minds. Like when USC was losing in football, Nobody was screaming for them to be dropped when they got their first loss or two. But when they got that 3rd and 4th loss they started dropping like a rock.

sonicblast6923

Gaming and Family Life
May 16, 2004
Who would have thought that VA would be holding the top spot right now? ACC is going to be so wide open, it's no telling what will happen these next couple of weeks.

SinisterAngel606

Uncanny X-Fan
Jan 6, 2006
Virginia's probably looking more to next year in my estimation, but I tell ya that they could be a real dark horse. I'm really tempted to say that Clemson, Wake, Maryland, FSU, Miami and BC lose a bunch of games to each other and to the bottom teams, and thereby reduce their chances of getting a tourney bid. The Cavaliers could leapfrog a bunch of them if no one takes them seriously.

Obiwan316

Southern Jedi
Apr 25, 2001
The league is wide open now. I still think that Duke has the inside track on the regular season. Their experiance should carry them through.

Xtremegamer31

Light my fire!!
Dec 6, 2000
So what were Carolina fans saying about having the best frontcourt in the nation before the season began? You guys don't even have a top 3 front court in the ACC.

Xtremegamer31

Light my fire!!
Dec 6, 2000
Sure, I'll entertain you and won't say Duke. But what I will do is come back here and post about it when we dominate you on the glass grabbing the boards and dominating in the paint when we play.

Obiwan316

Southern Jedi
Apr 25, 2001
Wow, you are really the worst poster on ign.

I'm guessing that must be 13 years old and get picked on at school. Every post is argumentative and contains no thought.

Xtremegamer31

Light my fire!!
Dec 6, 2000
I gave up posting long and logical posts on message boards many years ago on IGN. I just come here to gloat and laugh at posts now. There's really no point in trying when people are always going to be biased against your team anyway, especially when it's Duke.

I use to have great ACC conversations with ringmaster fan all the time back in the day (Maryland fan), which by the way was when no UNC fans were even around here since that was the dark ages for you guys (early 2000's), so unfortunately you didn't get to see that. The football board in particular use to be a great board. In every thread was a great discussion where we all had great opinions and 500+ word responses of actual contextual arguments with every reply. But that all ended sometime in 05/06. Now it's just "you mad" and posting gifs and all this nonsense.

This board actually isn't too bad. I don't think I've been all too bad here. I've just given you UNC fans a hard time because it's been such a long time since us Duke fans could rub anything in. Let me live in the moment and act like a child please!

DaaaaaBears

Super Star
May 30, 2006
Xtremegamer31 said:
Sure, I'll entertain you and won't say Duke. But what I will do is come back here and post about it when we dominate you on the glass grabbing the boards and dominating in the paint when we play.

If you seriously think the Plumlees are better than Ed Davis and Deon Thompson...my god.

SinisterAngel606

Uncanny X-Fan
Jan 6, 2006
Xtremegamer31 said:
This board actually isn't too bad. I don't think I've been all too bad here. I've just given you UNC fans a hard time because it's been such a long time since us Duke fans could rub anything in. Let me live in the moment and act like a child please!

Since you're actually manning up, I'll allow it. I can respect that more than someone who acts more or less like a child.

Obiwan316

Southern Jedi
Apr 25, 2001
Xtremegamer31 said:
I gave up posting long and logical posts on message boards many years ago on IGN. I just come here to gloat and laugh at posts now. There's really no point in trying when people are always going to be biased against your team anyway, especially when it's Duke.

I use to have great ACC conversations with ringmaster fan all the time back in the day (Maryland fan), which by the way was when no UNC fans were even around here since that was the dark ages for you guys (early 2000's), so unfortunately you didn't get to see that. The football board in particular use to be a great board. In every thread was a great discussion where we all had great opinions and 500+ word responses of actual contextual arguments with every reply. But that all ended sometime in 05/06. Now it's just "you mad" and posting gifs and all this nonsense.

Don't feed the stupidity. There are some decent people on this board that aren't total morons that you find of other boards.

Also, please take the Delhome thing off your signature. From a fellow Panther fan, it pains me everytime that I see it. He's awful and single handedly ruined our season.

doa3_master

Life's a bitch and then you marry one
Sep 10, 2001
SinisterAngel606 said:
Xtremegamer31 said:

Since you're actually manning up, I'll allow it. I can respect that more than someone who acts more or less like a child.

You love me thou, admit it [face_hugs]

legacyAccount

Old Account
Nov 10, 2011
Looks like I'll be the Maryland rep on this board...anyway I think my team has enough experience and good enough talent to make the tourney, but its looking like this will be determined by players other than Vaquez stepping it up, and in particular the bench. I think our guard play is strong enough but the question will continue to be if our young bigmen can contribute enough on the boards and in the post, defensively.

SinisterAngel606

Uncanny X-Fan
Jan 6, 2006
doa3_master said:
You love me thou, admit it [face_hugs]

Yea. You do bring an entertainment factor with you.

WorldBFree, good to have a Maryland fan on board. I wish we had representatives from all ACC schools here. From what I've seen in the past there's been a fan of every school except maybe BC on this board.

Jun 27, 2009
WorldBFree76 said:
Looks like I'll be the Maryland rep on this board...anyway I think my team has enough experience and good enough talent to make the tourney, but its looking like this will be determined by players other than Vaquez stepping it up, and in particular the bench. I think our guard play is strong enough but the question will continue to be if our young bigmen can contribute enough on the boards and in the post, defensively.
[face_drooling]Your sig..I could hardly even pay attention to your post

Obiwan316

Southern Jedi
Apr 25, 2001
Big Four in action tonight.

Wake @ UNC and Duke @ State

This is one of the two times that I pull for NC State; well unless they are playing the Big Ten or something. ;)

.-Nick-.

Noob
Dec 3, 2008
[image=http://media2.newsobserver.com/smedia/2010/01/21/01/N.C._State_88__Duke_74___01.20.10__FybFvsD_stateduke043.standalone.prod_affiliate.156.jpg]

DrDraxion

No Longer a Noob
Jan 6, 2009
.-Nick-. said:
[image=http://media2.newsobserver.com/smedia/2010/01/21/01/N.C._State_88__Duke_74___01.20.10__FybFvsD_stateduke043.standalone.prod_affiliate.156.jpg]

That was a great win and if we could steal one from MD and beat UNC (which is looking very likely) we could be 4-3 in the ACC and in the talk for the *gasp* tourney.

Im still just enjoying the win though.

.-Nick-.

Noob
Dec 3, 2008
I'm enjoying it as well. And our big 3 recruits were at the game and looked to be enjoying it a ton. The student section got a CJ Leslie chat going pretty loud with about 5 minutes left and he looked pretty stoked.

[image=http://media2.newsobserver.com/smedia/2010/01/21/01/N.C._State_88__Duke_74___01.20.10__FybFvsD_stateduke019.standalone.prod_affiliate.156.jpg]

- You know you wanna play with me dude

With Ryan Harrow and Lorenzo Brown already signed (both 5 stars) Luke Cothron (high 4 star) giving us a soft verbal, but not yet signing, and we are in very good with Leslie (5 star) - I'm super pumped about the kind of team we would have in a year or 2.

DaaaaaBears

Super Star
May 30, 2006
Leslie is Kentucky's if Calipari wants him.

And hopefully this shuts Duke fans up, this was a bad loss for them. Scheyer played like crap and Singler continues to look like a terrible pick as a first team All-American.

DrDraxion

No Longer a Noob
Jan 6, 2009
DaaaaaBears said:
Leslie is Kentucky's if Calipari wants him.

And hopefully this shuts Duke fans up, this was a bad loss for them. Scheyer played like crap and Singler continues to look like a terrible pick as a first team All-American.

Yea more then likely. It wont hurt us to much though, our front court will be loaded for the next couple years, leslie would only be icing on the cake.

As for the duke boys some of our 3 star freshman (Scott Wood) did a pretty good job shutting Singler although he committed some stupid fouls that got them points. IDK if you watched the game or not but Scott Wood was the unsung hero of this game. His shooting threat alone kept duke from collapsing on T.Smith and the inside were we got most of out points. He also wore out Singler pretty well at the end of the game.

You all better watch out for scotty in a couple years.

Xtremegamer31

Light my fire!!
Dec 6, 2000
Why would this shut Duke fans up? We're still the best team in the ACC. These setbacks are just part of the ACC man. It's the toughest conference in the nation as far as I'm concerned. Every team in the league is capable of winning on a given night if they play their best. NC State certainly brought their best last night. They deserve all the credit. The only thing I'm saying is that it is certainly somewhat of an abberation. In a 7 game series Duke will win 100% of the time. That's the beauty of college basketball though. It's upset city baby. You have to bring your best every night or you're gonna lose. And Duke certainly didn't bring their best.

But you're not joking about NC State being great in a year or two. Lowe is doing an incredible job recruiting. That's one of the reasons I made the storming the court thread though. NC State has a great history and is a big team. Of course it's not on the level of Duke or UNC, but even in down years for NC State I think they're always worthy opponents. I don't expect to get stormed by NC State unless we have a stacked team like 99 or 01, etc. I expect to get stormed by VT, Boston College, etc.

DrDraxion

No Longer a Noob
Jan 6, 2009
Xtremegamer31 said:
Why would this shut Duke fans up? We're still the best team in the ACC. These setbacks are just part of the ACC man. It's the toughest conference in the nation as far as I'm concerned. Every team in the league is capable of winning on a given night if they play their best. NC State certainly brought their best last night. They deserve all the credit. The only thing I'm saying is that it is certainly somewhat of an abberation. In a 7 game series Duke will win 100% of the time. That's the beauty of college basketball though. It's upset city baby. You have to bring your best every night or you're gonna lose. And Duke certainly didn't bring their best.

But you're not joking about NC State being great in a year or two. Lowe is doing an incredible job recruiting. That's one of the reasons I made the storming the court thread though. NC State has a great history and is a big team. Of course it's not on the level of Duke or UNC, but even in down years for NC State I think they're always worthy opponents. I don't expect to get stormed by NC State unless we have a stacked team like 99 or 01, etc. I expect to get stormed by VT, Boston College, etc.

First we beat you no dominated you. You seem to think that was a fluke, but you guys have shown you cant win on the road. If you were the best team in the ACC by far you have to be able to beat teams on the road. Thats why you guys wont make it past the second round.

Second look up your history, saying NCSU does not have a tradition matching duke or UNC is so damm stupid it makes my head spin. Just do some research to see that state had the best college basketball player of all time, went undefeated ,help change some of the fundamental ways basketball is played (like the shot clock) and even started the age old traditiong of cutting down the net and was the fundamental player of making ACC basketball what it is today.

Also if we beat the number 6 team in the nation. That is worthy of storming of the court. I dont know why your so bitter about that.