Jun 15, 2010
Upon reflection, I think Sucker Punch should have chosen someone other than JW to be their Beast. An unknown - or at least not a main character. I've noticed game makers lately taking the M. Night Shyamalan approach and feel the need to add twists to their stories. Often, this is at the expense of the organic flow of the narrative. The odd result of too many people doing this is that they ultimately become expected, i.e. predictable. Honestly, how many people suspected John to be the Beast? A TON of us.

Now, if they had spent a little more time creating a back story for an unknown, we would have all been dead wrong and would have had a whole other layer of story to digest.

Hell, making Sasha (arguably the weakest of the true Conduits) the Beast would have opened possibilities. Psychotic and victimized -> Super Being? Yep. Deadly. Still, an unknown may have been the better choice.

vipers_524

Noob
Oct 18, 2011
John being the Beast is not that much of a twist. If you choose to destroy the ray sphere in the first game, John gets suck in to the explosion. Shasa could not have been turned in the Beast for if she was exposed the the ray sphere again, she would have been given a stronger psychic ability. As for an unkown, that would mean that the ray sphere would have had to fallen in to someone elses hands in Empire City.

May 24, 2008
Upon reflection, I think Sucker Punch should have chosen someone other than JW to be their Beast. An unknown - or at least not a main character. I've noticed game makers lately taking the M. Night Shyamalan approach and feel the need to add twists to their stories. Often, this is at the expense of the organic flow of the narrative. The odd result of too many people doing this is that they ultimately become expected, i.e. predictable. Honestly, how many people suspected John to be the Beast? A TON of us.

Now, if they had spent a little more time creating a back story for an unknown, we would have all been dead wrong and would have had a whole other layer of story to digest.

Hell, making Sasha (arguably the weakest of the true Conduits) the Beast would have opened possibilities. Psychotic and victimized -> Super Being? Yep. Deadly. Still, an unknown may have been the better choice.

I don't even remember Sasha, let alone I didn't even remember JW. What are you guys talking about? I think the smart thing to do would be to establish someone we actually remember and one of the main characters as the Beast, not some guy that was in Infamous that nobody remembers (I'm guessing he was in Infamous..since he wasn't in Infamous 2).

Jan 2, 2013
I honestly think (spoilers) that Cole was always the Beast, even in Kessler's timeline. I think the reason why Kessler fled with his family is because he saw himself and didn't have it in him to fight. The Beast in Kessler's timeline is Cole from the ending of Infamous 2. reason why their were two Coles in Kessler's timeline (and what I believe will be the plot for infamous 3 If they keep Cole) is that the Kessler/Cole relationship is a never ending cycle. Infamous 3 would almost have to begin wi the evil ending, having Cole travel back in time a la Kessler and messing with the past. Kessler's beast arrived after he married Trish because Beast-Cole wanted to see what would happen had Kessler never meddled with the past. It's a cycle of Coles that never end

Nov 10, 2010
@ Hardcore Deadly Gamer
Did you even play the first game?
I find it impossible that you don't remember John White from the first game if you actually played it. Sasha, I suppose, since she was only the first boss and didn't have much of an impact (if you played the good side) but, really? John White?

Jul 27, 2012
Here
John being the Beast is not that much of a twist. If you choose to destroy the ray sphere in the first game, John gets suck in to the explosion. Shasa could not have been turned in the Beast for if she was exposed the the ray sphere again, she would have been given a stronger psychic ability. As for an unkown, that would mean that the ray sphere would have had to fallen in to someone elses hands in Empire City.
John even looked like the beast. My brother and I postulated it was Cole or John based on physique, hair/head shape, and the fact Cole was, forgive the pun, a total beast in the first game while John died at the Ray Sphere's hands. It made total sense to make Cole the Beast, especially since Sasha was killed off in the comic (along with Moya and Alden Tate).

nagato188

Almost Not a Noob
May 3, 2011
Even if a number of people *had* figured out that John was The Beast, I think the way Sucker Punch handled it was brilliant. And I'm loving the theory that Cole is the one who becomes The Beast, if he becomes evil... :D

biertje373

Noob
May 7, 2011

I don't even remember Sasha, let alone I didn't even remember JW. What are you guys talking about? I think the smart thing to do would be to establish someone we actually remember and one of the main characters as the Beast, not some guy that was in Infamous that nobody remembers (I'm guessing he was in Infamous..since he wasn't in Infamous 2).
JW = John White, you hear a lot about him through the entire first game, he was the beast in inFamous 2.
Sasha is the first boss from the first game, she was the leader of a gang named the reapers.
So almost everyone who played inFamous know who they are.

nagato188

Almost Not a Noob
May 3, 2011

JW = John White, you hear a lot about him through the entire first game, he was the beast in inFamous 2.
Sasha is the first boss from the first game, she was the leader of a gang named the reapers.
So almost everyone who played inFamous know who they are.

The characters were very memorable, in my opinion. Each unique, well performed, and intriguing.

OmegaLittleBob

Almost Not a Noob
Aug 30, 2004
I think "The Beast" is more of an idea, or rather a chronological inevitability. A Constant or a fixed point in time as Dr.Who and other time travel stories describe. The Beast is something that is fated to happen, and the universe will twist events in order for the timeline to stay on its fixed corse. In the end, someone has to be The Beast. I don't think Jon was the original Beast that Kessler ran from, after all its because of Kessler's tampering with the past that leads to Jon becoming The Beast. Later, Cole is given the choice to become The Beast even if he didn't know that what he was really choosing. According to "Cannon" Cole sacrifices himself, because he is not strong enough to stop the Beast head on. But did he really defeat it? Or is Delsin, a Conduit who's smokey, fiery powers bear a chilling resemblance to The Beast's in Infamous 2, the next one in line to take up the mantle?

In a way The Beast is a test for humanity. If they can defeat this thing that represents the glorious potential of Conduit powers, twisted into a destructive force of nature. If humanity can truly overcome The Beast, instead of just delaying or avoiding it, then they will be worthy of the next evolutionary step that is Conduit powers.