dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16093 Posts

I'm pretty cheap; I buy my clothes from Wal-Mart. Are you guys cheap? be honest -- there is no judgment here.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38712 Posts

depends on the product.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23087 Posts

Generally, yes. I tend to be a saver, and I don't like to tax myself.

There are generally three priorities when it comes to spending/saving money: Status, Security, and Freedom/Fun. My order is security, freedom/fun, status. I care very little about projecting status via wealth, although there is a floor that I want to maintain above.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59728 Posts

I'm Scottish.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58807 Posts

Yes and no.

I would sooner spend $50 on a good 8 oz steak than $20 on some cheap crap.

I like to cook, and I just bought myself a $400 Vitamix blender (worth every penny, btw) instead of some $50 blender from Target or whatever.

I like quality, in other words.

At the same time, I don't really treat myself that often. That blender? Probably the only major purchase I'll be making for a few months; it also helps that the blender will last me a couple decades.

The only thing I really spend my money on rent, bills, and groceries. I've had the same three $20 bills in my wallet for like a year lol.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#6 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49634 Posts

@dracula_16 said:

I'm pretty cheap; I buy my clothes from Wal-Mart. Are you guys cheap? be honest -- there is no judgment here.

There's nothing wrong with being cheap. I have my groceries delivered from Walmart... or Instacart with the premium price tag. Partly because I *hate people* for obvious reasons (people suck) but mostly because time is money and I would rather pay a premium on that and spend more time with my son then waste time unnecessarily browsing for items in a store.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 899 Posts

Generally yes. I used to be cheap by necessity since I grew up very poor.

Now, after working myself up in to an economically comfortable positions, I am still cheap (but by choice), I do that to invest most of my income.

Those investment will afterwards help my kids when they grow up to go to college and have more opportunities in life.

But I will not buy frivolous things for them either. They will have to work for the things they like.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2174 Posts

Yes. Can't really afford to be any other way.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46950 Posts

I'm frugal, not cheap.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#10 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1207 Posts

No, I am not cheap. I enjoy things of quality, as low quality things often do not last long. I do know how to save money though and I am not too frivolous with my savings.

For example, I want a new PC but I don’t blow my savings to buy one.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58807 Posts

@rmpumper said:

Yes. Can't really afford to be any other way.

Ahhh I remember those days. I call them my "overdraft fee, paycheck-to-paycheck days".

Sucks man. Hang in there.

@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@dracula_16 said:

There's nothing wrong with being cheap. I have my groceries delivered from Walmart... or Instacart with the premium price tag. Partly because I *hate people* for obvious reasons (people suck) but mostly because time is money and I would rather pay a premium on that and spend more time with my son then waste time unnecessarily browsing for items in a store.

I never had you pegged as a misanthrope. Hmmmmm...😋

What's the fee for delivery, is it reasonable? I love people but I just don't like being around them lol so I might take advantage of delivery service.

I'd argue being frugal is a good quality, but being cheap isn't really a good thing. You often end up paying more in the long run due to poor quality, though sometimes it can be necessary to cut corners, so I get it.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#12 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6140 Posts

I’m not cheap I just don’t do much of anything. Living alone with a small basic income,can’t splurge on anything much. Eventually going to get a roommate,probably next year? I treat myself here and there with a fast food joint,subscription to Gamepass,Disney+, Amazon,etc….. Don’t normally have much else left,surviving pay to pay.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8556 Posts

I have a tendency to like nice things; from the clothes I wear to the food I eat, or an extravagant experience.

I'm more of a quality over quantity kind of guy, and I'm willing to spend a little extra money to have those things.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56774 Posts

Just remember everyone, you get what you pay for!

Like what @comp_atkins said, it depends on the item. For me, I go by 3 rules on this:

1. The cheapest one will do.
  2. Which one has the best value proposition?
  3. I'm gonna spend a little more because I actually care here.

Lesson learned and hopefully, this advice will go along the way for all of you OT folks. One thing I stopped skimping on is shoes and boots. Most boots I have easily lasted 6-10 years which were expensive costing over $80-$100 example. And if you cheap out on shoes/boots like $10-$20, trust me, those shoes and boots will crack and warned down within a year or at the very least won't last 10 months.

I definitely look for the lowest price in things but because of what I'm looking for they often end up on not being the cheapest. I only buy no synthetic layered clothes, so no polyester or rayon underwear, jeans, shirts, etc. Of course I could give less of a damn about some things. For chemical items, I go for bargain brands, that include vinegars/baking sodas/soaps etc. It's really only filler and scents that the brands provide and I need it not.

And as always, you get what you pay for!

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#15 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33353 Posts

Yes, I am. Mainly because I have low finance. The only things I spend a lot of money on are things that I'm particularly interested in.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50853 Posts

For everyday items and energy usage I'm extremely cheap.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#17 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 71184 Posts

If cheap is "why spend more when you can spend less for the same thing", then I am cheap.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9711 Posts

It depends on the product, but I would usually rather pay a little extra for what I want rather than settle for something I'm not happy with. You only once once and if you have the money then why not. As long as there's enough to pay all the bills, put food on the table, and put a little back for saving then I say make yourself happy. You only have one life to live and you can't take it with tou when you're gone.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 899 Posts

@davillain: you don't necessary get what you paid for. If you don't know the product and can't spot quality you can easily waste money on brand recognition.

"You get what you paid for" is true only when you understand the product you are buying.

A good example is clothes. If you understand what you are buying you can get much better quality for a moderately higher price.

But if you don't you can be paying ten times as much for the same product with a different brand.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16207 Posts

I even buy from thrift store if it looks nice and buy cheap products if it meant it does the job but would not say I am cheap. I just spend money on food and things I like. Recently been off expensive food tho I am on a calorie deficit diet... which somehow could just be as expensive.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 7476 Posts

No, for example, I just bought an $800 Sega Saturn game. If I see something I like I will buy it.

Not trying to gloat or anything because I know all too well what it was like living week to week and having to watch my spendings.

I'm currently living comfortably, so I like to splurge on myself and my kids.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3508 Posts

Summer clothes, yes. I usually look for a discount.

shadowsentiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 shadowsentiel
Member since 2024 • 48 Posts

No. I Always make sure what I buy is of value and quality. This doesn't mean that I spend ridicolous amounts of money on useless things while cheaper alternatives are more appropriate and convincing. I'm not rich lol. But I won't spend money on something that is Bad.