Them and Us
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
最初の血 Unforgiven  [developer] Aug 30, 2018 @ 9:27pm
Powerful PC - FPS drops / Game not running / Other problems
Game not running / Black screen / Game Crashes
----------------------------------------------------------

Slow FPS:

This can happen if the game doesn't recognize your actual video card, thinking that your integrated video card is the real video card. This usually happens to players that uses laptops or more modern NVidia cards.

Here is a well-done tutorial that that can help you.
Thanks 00 Critical for helping the community:
https://youtu.be/golSeuQTs28

In more details, what is happening and how to solve it:
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197995509359/screenshot/2483251409052491389/

For you to to know what GPU the game is using:
a. Open the Launch.log located in:
\Steam\steamapps\common\Them & Us\UDKGame\Logs and open

b. Search for: LOG: Found D3D11 adapter 0: Video card is using will be displayed here.

Another fix solution:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/2011474070537244044/8F28E5EB48F92ECE23ADCE5E44F4FE448D0F3F6D/?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

If your video card is still not recognized by the game, let's force it to recognize it:

1. Download:
https://gitlab.com/Ph42oN/dxvk-gplasync/-/jobs/5046286729/artifacts/download?file_type=archive

2. Place all .dll files from x64 folder inside:
Steam\steamapps\common\Them & Us\Binaries\Win64

For a more detail description you can read this post (thanks Nathan):
https://steamcommunity.com/app/915600/discussions/0/1736589519993462847/?ctp=4#c4038104984929816554

If this doesn't help:

1. Please disable the STEAM overlay for Them and Us. Steam overlay starts before the game, making the drivers think the STEAM is the actual game lowering everything down to 30 FPS or less.

2. If you installed GeForce Experience this may overwrite NVidia. In this case please make sure you follow these steps:
https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/add-games-geforce-experience/

3. Update your video card drivers to the latest version.

Game crashes:

This usually happens when Steam fails to download the files correctly. In most cases these happens to players that already playing the game while an update to the game has been made.

How to solve it?

1. Check the integrity files like here:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

2. If the game is not responding please wait for a while. Do not click the screen or the game may stop responding.

3. MSI Afterburner users that overclock their system may occur game crash / not running.

If the game crashes at startup is possible you did not accept the Epic Games EULA in the past to other games made in UDK or when the game asked you to accept it. Or that steam did not installed/run for you the redistribution file, try to launch it from here and accept the EULA:

Steam\steamapps\common\Them & Us\Binaries\Redist

4. If you use cheats, third-party programs to cheats such as trainers/patches please be aware that the game will most likely crash every time leave any of the areas.

5. You can also try to delete the whole config folder located in steamapps\common\Them & Us\UDKGame\ and verify the integrity file to redownload again the config files.

For any other problems please let us know. We are here to help.
Last edited by 最初の血 Unforgiven; 21 hours ago
Originally posted by Nathan:
One thing that can help with FPS with an older engine that has trouble with new Hardware/Software is by using DXVK, a Vulkan translation layer API converting DirectX 9-10-11 games into Vulkan, which does still have more modern support.

1. Download this
https://gitlab.com/Ph42oN/dxvk-gplasync/-/jobs/5046286729/artifacts/download?file_type=archive

2. Open it up (it's a zip file, 7zip should work fine for instance https://www.7-zip.org/ )

3. Inside the dxvk-gplasync-v2.3-1.zip keep double-clicking, inside the dxvk-gplasync-v2.3-1 ->x64 folder inside that, then leave this zip view open for now,
dxvk-gplasync-v2.3-1.zip/dxvk-gplasync-v2.3-1/x64/

4. go in your windows explorer, navigate to the installation directory of Them & Us (by default probably C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Them & Us\Binaries\Win64, you can also right-click Them & Us in your steam library, hover over manage->browse local files, click that and it opens the folder window)

5. Ok, with Them & Us Win64 folder open in the background, bring the zip file window into view again next to it, drag and drop the d3d11.dll/d3d9.dll & dxgi.dll files into the Win64 folder so that they are there next to the UDK.exe executable file.

You should be done. (unless if you want config file tweaks)
(Don't have both d3d9.dll and D3d11.dll files at the same time, the game doesn't like that, one or the other depending upon which DX version you plan to play with, dxgi is needed in both cases though either way.

Hope that helps and is easy enough to follow.

OPTIONAL:
Create inside that same folder a
dxvk.conf file
you can create a new text document, and while renaming also rename the ".txt" part into ".conf", important that it's "dxvk.conf" not "dxvk.conf.txt"

Open with notepad, add into it:

DXVK_GPLASYNCCACHE=1
dxvk.gplAsyncCache = true
< >
Showing 1-15 of 64 comments
最初の血 Unforgiven  [developer] Feb 6, 2019 @ 6:44pm 
Hi,
Thank you for addressing your problem.
Have you tried reinstalling the latest drivers for your GTX 1070 video card?

For now is only basic setup like very low, low, medium, high , very high.
Later we will add individual setup to change each property setting.

Currently now is

On Very Low:

StaticDecals=False
DynamicDecals=False
UnbatchedDecals=True
DecalCullDistanceScale=0.4
DynamicShadows=False
LightEnvironmentShadows=False
MotionBlur=False
DepthOfField=True
AmbientOcclusion=False
Bloom=False
bAllowLightShafts=False
Distortion=False
DropParticleDistortion=True
LensFlares=False
AllowRadialBlur=False
bAllowSeparateTranslucency=False
bAllowPostprocessMLAA=False
bAllowHighQualityMaterials=False
SkeletalMeshLODBias=1
DetailMode=0
MaxDrawDistanceScale=0.8
MaxAnisotropy=1
MaxShadowResolution=256
MaxWholeSceneDominantShadowResolution=256
ScreenPercentage=100.000000
ShadowTexelsPerPixel=0.5
bAllowWholeSceneDominantShadows=True
bUseConservativeShadowBounds=True
bAllowFracturedDamage=False
FractureCullDistanceScale=0.25

On Very High:

StaticDecals=True
DynamicDecals=True
UnbatchedDecals=True
DecalCullDistanceScale=1.0
DynamicShadows=True
LightEnvironmentShadows=True
MotionBlur=True
DepthOfField=True
AmbientOcclusion=True
Bloom=True
bAllowLightShafts=True
Distortion=True
DropParticleDistortion=False
LensFlares=True
AllowRadialBlur=True
bAllowSeparateTranslucency=False
bAllowPostprocessMLAA=True
bAllowHighQualityMaterials=True
SkeletalMeshLODBias=0
DetailMode=2
MaxDrawDistanceScale=1.2
MaxAnisotropy=16
MaxShadowResolution=4096
MaxWholeSceneDominantShadowResolution=4096
ScreenPercentage=100.000000
ShadowTexelsPerPixel=4.0
bAllowWholeSceneDominantShadows=True
bUseConservativeShadowBounds=False
bAllowFracturedDamage=True
FractureCullDistanceScale=2.0

Last edited by 最初の血 Unforgiven; Feb 6, 2019 @ 6:51pm
d0x360 May 17, 2019 @ 5:57am 
Originally posted by crippknottick:
What do the preset settings do? Because I am running an i5-3570k, 16GB RAM, and GTX 1070 and get massive fps drops on any preset higher than low/medium.

Could we have individual visual setting adjustments? I would like for example to up options like ambient occlusion, shader/lighting quality, etc. but without adding in ridiculous amounts of anti-aliasing attached to those settings.

Time to upgrade your cpu. These days you need to be able to run at least 8 threads...

Engines are designed for the consoles and your only saving grace so far as been the fact that they were garbage CPUs but with the new Ryzen based consoles coming out... It's really time to upgrade.

Personally I'd go Ryzen but if you go Intel you need at least a 6 core i7. More ram wouldn't hurt either.
EscapeClause 85 May 30, 2019 @ 7:15pm 
I am also having massive frame drop issues. The intros and cut scenes play perfectly fine however. I am currently running:
-i7-7700 4.20GHz
-16GB RAM
-Nvidia GTX 1080 (Latest drivers installed)

Thanks!
最初の血 Unforgiven  [developer] May 30, 2019 @ 8:07pm 
@Chowser
Thank you for reporting your problem.
Your PC should have no problems running the game at 60 FPS.
Have you tried enabling the vsync from inside the properties?

Is your video card by chance overclocked or came overclocked?
Unreal Engine does not worked well with overclocking video cards.

You can also try this:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/49540/discussions/0/846959998062253777/

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/game-stuttering-with-fps-drops

I have the same video card and I run the game on a 2560x1440 without any problems.
Please let us know if this fixes your problem.
EscapeClause 85 May 31, 2019 @ 6:51am 
Originally posted by 最初の血 Unforgiven:
@Chowser
Thank you for reporting your problem.
Your PC should have no problems running the game at 60 FPS.
Have you tried enabling the vsync from inside the properties?

Is your video card by chance overclocked or came overclocked?
Unreal Engine does not worked well with overclocking video cards.

You can also try this:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/49540/discussions/0/846959998062253777/

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/game-stuttering-with-fps-drops

I have the same video card and I run the game on a 2560x1440 without any problems.
Please let us know if this fixes your problem.

I'm not 100% sure if my card came overclocked, but, I have not had any issues in the past running unreal engine games.

I enabled VSync, and while it did not improve the frame rate.

I should also clarify that stuttering may be the wrong choice of words. It's more like the game runs consistently between 6 and 10 fps.

This is at 1920x1080 on High. I tried upping the resolution to see if running the game at the same resolution as my system would help, 3840x2160, and I was still hitting the same frame rate range.

I tried increasing my PoolSize to 2000 but that did not help.

While running the came, I captured some stats:

GPU Utilization ran between 13% and 18% with an average temp of 33C
CPU Utilization ran at around 20%
RAM Usage was around 6.5 - 7GB
最初の血 Unforgiven  [developer] May 31, 2019 @ 7:40pm 
Probably some of the windows updates that you have may affect the game running normal. What windows version are you using?
Did you tried to run both the 32bit version and 64bit version of the game like described here:

3. You can also try to run the 32bit version of the game. The exe is located in:
[YourSteamFolder]\steamapps\common\Them & Us\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe

Have you tried to make a clean install of the video drivers by first uninstalling the old ones?
Does your windows have the latest visual studio and net framework installed?
Perhaps also try to uninstall the game and reinstall and see if that works.
Last edited by 最初の血 Unforgiven; May 31, 2019 @ 7:48pm
EscapeClause 85 Jun 3, 2019 @ 2:28pm 
Originally posted by 最初の血 Unforgiven:
Probably some of the windows updates that you have may affect the game running normal. What windows version are you using?
Did you tried to run both the 32bit version and 64bit version of the game like described here:

3. You can also try to run the 32bit version of the game. The exe is located in:
[YourSteamFolder]\steamapps\common\Them & Us\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe

Have you tried to make a clean install of the video drivers by first uninstalling the old ones?
Does your windows have the latest visual studio and net framework installed?
Perhaps also try to uninstall the game and reinstall and see if that works.

I am running the latest release of Windows 10 and have tried the 64 and 32 bit versions. I will try to uninstall and reinstall. Wish me luck!
EscapeClause 85 Jun 15, 2019 @ 10:33pm 
Whatever the last update did, it seems to have foxed my frame rate issue!
kelann1027 Jul 26, 2019 @ 5:08pm 
My bug is that I have to be right on top of the zombies with the gun it hit them..Please, fix this. TY
d0x360 Jul 26, 2019 @ 7:06pm 
Originally posted by crippknottick:
Originally posted by d0x360:

Time to upgrade your cpu. These days you need to be able to run at least 8 threads...

Engines are designed for the consoles and your only saving grace so far as been the fact that they were garbage CPUs but with the new Ryzen based consoles coming out... It's really time to upgrade.

Personally I'd go Ryzen but if you go Intel you need at least a 6 core i7. More ram wouldn't hurt either.

You are right, I should upgrade my CPU at some point, however I can play Arkham Knight (which takes advantage of as many CPU threads as possible) @ 1080p/60 fps without issue and the game is inherently more complex in the CPU and GPU department than this game.

I know it is a low budget indy game so I expect a lot of pre-packaged unoptimized generic post processing filters to be included, but would like a more controlled way of enabling and disabling them instead of the low/med/high/ultra presets. I can configure them via the ini files for now.

Also, nice avatar. One of these days I will win the powerball lottery and buy up the LoK IP from Squeenix and make a new game before Simon Templeman dies.

LOK for life!

Im now running with 32 gigs of ddr4 in quad channel and a 2080ti ftw3 ultra and i STILL see performance issues lol. Id like to upgrade to Ryzen but im waiting for some bios updates and kinks to be worked out...and the 3950x
Thulsa_Doom Nov 16, 2019 @ 7:58am 
Game crashes to desktop (Didn't played a while. wanted to see what happened after all the updates). I see the intros, but before the main menu it drops back to desktop and game closed without message.

specs:
intel i7 8700k
nvidia 1080ti
windows 10 64 bit

Please no tips like "update drivers" . My system is clean & up to date and all other games running without problems.

Anyone with same specs and problems?
Last time i played about week ago and game was running fine.
When i played yesterday my fps was below 18-29. Either newest nvidia drivers messed up game or later part of game (part after solving turning statues puzzle) is really unoptimised.
Havent played game for about a week and couple days ago nvidia drivers got updated to ver. 442.50.

My rig:
Win 10 Pro x64
Core i9 9900K
32GB DDr4 @3600mhz
Geforce GTX 1080Ti
hyuga6600 Nov 5, 2020 @ 9:02pm 
my PC
Core i7 4770K
8GB DDR3
Geforce GTX 1650

Game option
RESOLUTION 1920x1080
GRAPHICS MEDIUM
FRAME RATE 60FPS

↓↓↓

TOGGLE METRICS
62.00 FPS
16.13 ms
Frame: 16.13 ms
Game: 4.02 ms
Draw: 6.31 ms
GPU: 15.56 ms

Is this the right setting?
Is there anything I should change again?
最初の血 Unforgiven  [developer] Nov 7, 2020 @ 7:06pm 
Originally posted by hyuga1650:
my PC
Core i7 4770K
8GB DDR3
Geforce GTX 1650

Game option
RESOLUTION 1920x1080
GRAPHICS MEDIUM
FRAME RATE 60FPS

↓↓↓

TOGGLE METRICS
62.00 FPS
16.13 ms
Frame: 16.13 ms
Game: 4.02 ms
Draw: 6.31 ms
GPU: 15.56 ms

Is this the right setting?
Is there anything I should change again?

@ hyuga1650

I am sorry but I don't understand what are you trying to say. Do you have problems running the game in these settings? How can we help?

Based on your PC specifications it seems you can play the game on Very High graphics.
In case of game running slow sometimes please try to update your video card drivers.

hyuga6600 Nov 7, 2020 @ 11:34pm 
@ hyuga1650

I am sorry but I don't understand what are you trying to say. Do you have problems running the game in these settings? How can we help?

Based on your PC specifications it seems you can play the game on Very High graphics.
In case of game running slow sometimes please try to update your video card drivers. [/quote]

@最初の血 Unforgiven

Thank you for your reply.

I only know gameplay in my PC environment.
I couldn't figure out what the numbers in the game options represent, so
I wanted to ask if you could understand anything there.

Gameplay is fine.
Thank you for taking the time to spare.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 64 comments
Per page: 1530 50