Victoria 3

Victoria 3

View Stats:
Is there a point to playing minor nations?
Hello, I decided to give the game a try again due to the new update and was wondering if minor nations like Haiti and such are worth playing? Previously when I tried there wasn't really much to do.
Originally posted by Vellsi:
Most nations can conquer in some form, allowing growth and expansion to happen, which can make even a small nation a sizeable local force. You likely won't end up as Greater Power though, so it's a different way of playing the game and you need to set yourself different goals and objectives.

As you might have seen there's even an achievement to start with Luxembourg and then become a world leader in certain industries. That means it's entirely possible to specialize and gain wealth and power based on that - but it requires a bit of luck and lots of game knowledge to get going.

While you won't end up as the largest empire in the world there are definitely plenty of ways to grow and do interesting things. Even tiny island nations which manage to build 1 naval unit can go after other tiny nations and make them a protectorate. Combined with the foreign investment feature from Sphere of Influence it allows you to funnel quite a bit revenue into your pocket, which you can use to gain more influence over others and expand.

Since resource discovery is based on static quantities knowing where which resource will be discovered lets you even conquer nations that become very valuable later. Getting access to gold, oil and rubber do wonders for the economy.

You will not end up as a super power by the end of the game though and might even be someone's subject or in their Power Bloc, just so you are safe from major transgressions. One has to set expectations accordingly.

All that said, there are many creative ways of "terraforming" the map by making sure certain Great Powers are not able to get access to something, can't make progress or even fall apart when trying to aggressively push into an area. Similarly it's possible to wage economic warfare against other markets and completely ruin them, even major ones, just with trade, foreign investment and diplomacy.
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
Oracle Jul 5 @ 5:06am 
i rarely play any GP or major power, or anyone who have something. Haiti is fun, but because it is near the sea it is very easy to start conquest, try butan, I am still failing to ever make him top 1.
The author of this thread has indicated that this post answers the original topic.
Vellsi Jul 5 @ 5:14am 
Most nations can conquer in some form, allowing growth and expansion to happen, which can make even a small nation a sizeable local force. You likely won't end up as Greater Power though, so it's a different way of playing the game and you need to set yourself different goals and objectives.

As you might have seen there's even an achievement to start with Luxembourg and then become a world leader in certain industries. That means it's entirely possible to specialize and gain wealth and power based on that - but it requires a bit of luck and lots of game knowledge to get going.

While you won't end up as the largest empire in the world there are definitely plenty of ways to grow and do interesting things. Even tiny island nations which manage to build 1 naval unit can go after other tiny nations and make them a protectorate. Combined with the foreign investment feature from Sphere of Influence it allows you to funnel quite a bit revenue into your pocket, which you can use to gain more influence over others and expand.

Since resource discovery is based on static quantities knowing where which resource will be discovered lets you even conquer nations that become very valuable later. Getting access to gold, oil and rubber do wonders for the economy.

You will not end up as a super power by the end of the game though and might even be someone's subject or in their Power Bloc, just so you are safe from major transgressions. One has to set expectations accordingly.

All that said, there are many creative ways of "terraforming" the map by making sure certain Great Powers are not able to get access to something, can't make progress or even fall apart when trying to aggressively push into an area. Similarly it's possible to wage economic warfare against other markets and completely ruin them, even major ones, just with trade, foreign investment and diplomacy.
Originally posted by Vellsi:

Originally posted by Oracle:
i rarely play any GP or major power, or anyone who have something. Haiti is fun, but because it is near the sea it is very easy to start conquest, try butan, I am still failing to ever make him top 1.
Thank you both for your responses, imma retry the game again. Im gonna play as the zulu and see where that goes. I give the economic/diplomatic warfare option too.
I only do minor powers im currently playing as ethiopia and im having quite a bit of fun.

Plus being the protectorate of a great power has some goood benefits ( namely the I CAN ATTACK U BUT U CANT ATTACK ME ) benefit they have to go to war with the great power too.

Just gotta manage the liberty desire and ur good to go!
I generally play middle powers like Japan and Canada; large enough to have influence without cheesing, small enough that I'm not setting the course of world affairs. Everything feels more intimate and meaningful that way.
Originally posted by Nephalim Glory:
I generally play middle powers like Japan and Canada; large enough to have influence without cheesing, small enough that I'm not setting the course of world affairs. Everything feels more intimate and meaningful that way.
Isnt canada Britain s main "female dog " tho? and japan has a lot of issues with it i think.
Originally posted by pauloandrade224:
Isnt canada Britain s main "female dog " tho? and japan has a lot of issues with it i think.

Yes, that's why I'm playing them.
Originally posted by pauloandrade224:

Yes, that's why I'm playing them.
I prefer being independent its more fun than having ur economy be fixed by the ai
Atalvyr Jul 5 @ 2:19pm 
Just don't attempt this on the current patch (1.7.3). The Great Powers are currently hyper-aggressive towards unrecognized nations (like Haiti) due to a confirmed bug. Which means they will likely stomp you dead very quickly and without giving you much of an out.
Last edited by Atalvyr; Jul 5 @ 2:19pm
kuijl Jul 5 @ 2:34pm 
Playing as Cuba and no problems so far. after 45 years i had a war of independence against my overlord Spain and won with help of other majors. Then i took a massive economic hit because i did not had acces anymore to the Spanish market, but i am recovering now and having a blast. I also have a defensive pact with the USA. I don't think its that hard to make sure other majors stay away from my lands, but yes the AI is more agressive with the latest patch, but i like that.
Originally posted by Atalvyr:
Just don't attempt this on the current patch (1.7.3). The Great Powers are currently hyper-aggressive towards unrecognized nations (like Haiti) due to a confirmed bug. Which means they will likely stomp you dead very quickly and without giving you much of an out.

Oh, is that why Britain suddenly started an "foreign investment rights" play on me as Japan? Out of curiosity, I simply accepted it, and it radically changed my government structure due to the end of Sakoku. What happens if I try and resist the play? Prussia is quite friendly to me and could probably be convinced to back me up, or I could potentially swear loyalty to France.
Last edited by Nephalim Glory; Jul 5 @ 2:59pm
Originally posted by Atalvyr:
Yeah i learned that the hard way, i tried playing one of the great lake countries (uganda area) and england intervened.
No, play a GP.
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
Per page: 1530 50