Dear Esther: Landmark Edition

View Stats:
Heat Feb 14, 2022 @ 10:35am
What is this game about?
Is it an horror game?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 60 comments
MASTAN Feb 14, 2022 @ 10:47am 
Walking simulator. I've heard it's the first game to define this genre.
zaphodikus Feb 14, 2022 @ 10:58am 
Legit question, although the developer blurb and the game reviews should make that quite clear. It's a genre defining "storytelling" game, that practically invented the name "walking simulator". You don't "solve" puzzles, you don't shoot stuff, you cannot die, you just unravel the story, and yes, it's a bit sad to start out with, but has a happy ending.
Heat Feb 14, 2022 @ 11:05am 
Originally posted by MASTAN:
I walk in real life.
Heat Feb 14, 2022 @ 11:05am 
Originally posted by zaphodikus:
Legit question, although the developer blurb and the game reviews should make that quite clear. It's a genre defining "storytelling" game, that practically invented the name "walking simulator". You don't "solve" puzzles, you don't shoot stuff, you cannot die, you just unravel the story, and yes, it's a bit sad to start out with, but has a happy ending.
You start out walking, and end out limping.
Texus Feb 14, 2022 @ 11:10am 
Originally posted by MASTAN:
Ahhh yes I felt like that might be the chase. That was what I wanted to know too, i guess that's to boring for me personally

Originally posted by YYY:
You start out walking, and end out limping.
Didn't wanted to say it, but i thought that too^^
I don't like to pay much for that alone at least.
zaphodikus Feb 14, 2022 @ 11:50am 
Not an action game, but watching the developer's title video should make that clear in around 30 seconds. It's a short game, by game standards, but it's a "mystery" which I'm not seeing a lot of similar titles to, in your catalog @Texus, nor you @YYY.
Blud Feb 14, 2022 @ 12:21pm 
Glad I read this before wasting time. Thanks!
Heat Feb 14, 2022 @ 12:36pm 
Not an action game, but watching the developer's title video should make that clear in around 30 seconds. It's a short game, by game standards, but it's a "mystery" which I'm not seeing a lot of similar titles to, in your catalog @Texus, nor you @YYY.
I only play PES and NBA 2k
Heat Feb 14, 2022 @ 12:36pm 
Originally posted by Blud:
Glad I read this before wasting time. Thanks!
Lmao
Texus Feb 14, 2022 @ 1:52pm 
Not sure what you mean exactly, but you probably don't see anything because I didn't invited you as a friend.
I think I saw a let's play for that once from rocket beans, so I got a good idea that this might not be my taste. Wasn't sure if I remembered the game correctly however.
zaphodikus Feb 14, 2022 @ 2:14pm 
LOL
You can tell a little, tiny bit from screenshots, reviews and just comments people leave. So yes, guesswork. but if you find you do enjoy Esther and want to play more like it, do browse through my owned catalog and active groups and you will find a few more similar.
dragon15 Feb 14, 2022 @ 4:05pm 
it was a walking simulator before death strading and sony dit it.
Crinkles Feb 14, 2022 @ 4:06pm 
It's not Horror. It's also not a game - there are no win conditions, no skills to improve or acquire, no way to lose.

It's called a "walking simulator" but this is using the same loose definition of "simulator" that sees "Goat Simulator" categorized that way. It doesn't really simulate anything interesting or realistic about the walking (Death Stranding does a much better job on that aspect).

But it's not horror either... just a rambling, vague presentation of someone's failure to deal with a personal tragedy and their mildly surreal journey towards escape from it... stretched thin to cover a 3D environment that you must plod around to witness each little vignette.

What it really is, is an interactive exploration of the pretentiousness of its creators, and perhaps the most elaborate way to say "Don't buy any more games by The Chinese Room" to be released on Steam prior to Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs.

It's free right now, like a kick to the crotch is free... and some people enjoy either or both for their own reasons. :conwayheadscratch:
DrSpringroll Feb 14, 2022 @ 4:30pm 
The only reason I'm playin:gmod: is for the achievements and another perfect :gmod:ame
PakaNoHida Feb 14, 2022 @ 5:41pm 

So this game is like the Edith Fimch game, not a new genre.
Last edited by PakaNoHida; Feb 14, 2022 @ 5:49pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 60 comments
Per page: 1530 50