Dear Esther: Landmark Edition

Dear Esther: Landmark Edition

View Stats:
Any plans for a 64 bit MacOS version?
Since there's no more Steam support for 32 bit MacOS versions, are there any plans to update this game in order to make sure it keeps working on Mac?

It would be very much appreciated!
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
zaphodikus Feb 23 @ 12:48am 
High Sierra is it that you are on? I'm thinking that OS is off everyone's support radar. Apple have not even got any 32bit phones in support anymore. Sell it on Ebay for retro appeal perhaps? I'm not a mac user myself, macs are nice machines, but poor for general purpose use cases outside of pursuits like decorative furnishings. Get an M2 mac, they are awesome and beat the pants of my Windows AMD machine for "work" related tasks.

I'm imagining Landmark would perform poorly on such a mac anyway to be more to the point though.
Last edited by zaphodikus; Feb 23 @ 12:52am
MASTAN Feb 23 @ 1:18am 
Did you actually test it? I don't have macOS but I've downloaded depot and linux's "file" command shows this game has both x86 and x64 archs:
DearEsther: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [i386:\012- Mach-O i386 executable, flags:<NOUNDEFS|DYLDLINK|TWOLEVEL|WEAK_DEFINES|BINDS_TO_WEAK|NO_HEAP_EXECUTION>] [\012- x86_64]
ursa202 Feb 23 @ 2:58pm 
Originally posted by zaphodikus:
High Sierra is it that you are on? I'm thinking that OS is off everyone's support radar.

No I'm on the latest MacOS (Sonoma 14.3.1) on an M2 MacBook Pro that's not much more than a year old, but i do own an older Mac Mini as well, and it's been running the last 32bit MacOS (10.14 Mojave) that was released - specifically in order to play those 32bit only games. They do obviously still run on it, but I'd rather play them on the newer machine, and it seems reasonable to update 32bit MacOS Games since Steam stopped supporting them recently. Besides, I noticed how some 32bit games got upgraded shortly before they stopped being supported by the Steam client, so I was hoping that would happen to more of the 32bit games I own. From what I've gathered, upgrading a game to support 64bit systems isn't very complicated, at least far from the work involved in porting it to a different platform/OS
ursa202 Feb 23 @ 3:07pm 
Originally posted by MASTAN:
Did you actually test it?

No i didn't, but that would be strange since the Steam app clearly marked it as non playable on a 64bit version of MacOS. It can still be installed though, but it says that it might not launch. I will try and see if it somehow works anyway
ursa202 Feb 23 @ 3:43pm 
Originally posted by ursa202:
Originally posted by MASTAN:
I will try and see if it somehow works anyway

Update: Somewhat surprisingly it actually seems to work just fine, even though everything indicates that it shouldn't. It seems I have a bunch of games to test if they do the same
Rosetta is worth reading up on. I don't understand it's workings, but sometimes you get lucky with it. I'm not/never a mac user for pleasure purposes, so I'm unable to experiment.
ursa202 Mar 9 @ 2:28pm 
Rosetta is worth reading up on. I don't understand it's workings, but sometimes you get lucky with it. I'm not/never a mac user for pleasure purposes, so I'm unable to experiment.

I'm not so sure Rosetta has anything to do with this. It seems some games are incorrectly marked as 32bit only on Steam, even though they do in fact have 64bit compatibility as well. Apparently at least some of them does have the correct info on this posted to SteamDB
Until you have worked with a publisher, you don't really appreciate how non-technical the people are who are in marketing and are actually doing the job to put the stuff onto the store are. I hope someone does see this and updates it, but Chineese Room I think it is are pretty sussed as a bunch.

Glad it does work on 32bit, I'd hate to be the poor person lumped with testing that.

Apple, really need to open a games store though:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3178874528
Last edited by zaphodikus; Mar 11 @ 4:34am
MASTAN Mar 11 @ 5:42am 
BTW you can check the APi section of pcgw game articles, they often contain info about executable bitness:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dear_Esther:_Landmark_Edition#API
There's also https://www.applegamingwiki.com/wiki/Home which lists user-tested support of games on modern Macs including virtualization and compatibility layers.
These both sites are wikis meaning they're user-filled and could be innacurate sometimes or not have specific info but in general their info is more reliable than of game stores.
ursa202 Mar 12 @ 7:43pm 
Until you have worked with a publisher, you don't really appreciate how non-technical the people are who are in marketing and are actually doing the job to put the stuff onto the store are. I hope someone does see this and updates it, but Chineese Room I think it is are pretty sussed as a bunch.

Glad it does work on 32bit, I'd hate to be the poor person lumped with testing that.

Apple, really need to open a games store though:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3178874528

LOL

Obviously there are games on the Mac App Store, there's even the Apple Arcade section for games specifically. However, there's also Steam that has a lot of games supposedly running on Macs. In this particular context, I'm simply asking for games supposed to run on Macs to actually run on Macs. From what I've gathered, upgrading a game to support 64bit systems isn't very complicated, at least far from the work involved in porting it to a different platform/OS
true, one needs to sometime remind "publishers" about platform support.

My personal story: I got asked for 32bit support for a platform a month ago and I moaned for ages that we had no hardware to test it on to verify. I let the devs fix the 32bit build script setup but I could do nothing more to test that it really worked. Eventually I bought one device, but we have not got the time to test all the features do work on the 32bit machine. So although it works on the platform, and I assume most features do work, it's not really "support", that would mean I have to do double work every single time we do a release. (OK it's not true it's not double for 32 and 64bit, but it's still about 25% more work than just supporting one platform.) And that's why vendors never advertise platform width support.

Coders can do anything we ask them to, often will do far too much. It's the marketing people's job to cost in and decide this stuff a lot earlier than they typically do stop to just think about platforms for a moment. So yeah, keep reminding people.

You are a treasure.
Last edited by zaphodikus; Mar 13 @ 1:53am
Simon May 9 @ 6:22am 
Works fine on macOS Sonoma, so it's obviously 64-bit (or both 32 and 64-bit x86).

Don't pay attention to Steam's warning messages. They have no bearing on the actual app and are probably just inserted automatically. The publisher probably needs to edit the store page to remove it.
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Per page: 1530 50