American Truck Simulator

American Truck Simulator

View Stats:
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Komfr  [developer] Jun 18, 2019 @ 1:44am
Steam Input support
The 1.35 update now has native support for Steam Input in addition to the platform specific input mechanisms we already supported (e.g. DirectInput, XInput, evdev). The Steam Input applies primarily to the Steam Controller where the existing support was not ideal however it is possible to use it for classical controllers (Xbox, PS4, Switch Pro) and take advantage of extended configuration features the Steam Input provides (e.g ability to bind a different actions to short and long press of a button).

The Steam Controllers are always using the Steam Input. For each type of classical controller you can decide if you want to handle that type using the Steam Input or use our normal configuration support by opting the controller type in or out of the Steam Input support. A controller type can be opted into the Steam Input using the Controller Settings screen in the Steam client. This screen can be opened from the main menu of the Steam client by selecting Settings > Controller > General Controller Settings button. On this screen you can check or uncheck checkboxes corresponding to types of the classical controllers you want to opt in or out the Steam Input support. Please note the Generic Gamepad Configuration Support choice on the Controller Settings screen corresponds DirectInput devices and you might not want to enable it if you are using a non-gamepad controller such as a driving wheel.

If classical controller is opted into the Steam Input, it becomes unavailable on the in-game controllers screen and all its configuration must be done using the Steam Controller configuration UI. So if you are missing a controller there, please ensure that you did not opt it in in the past.

The Steam Controller configuration UI is only accessible from the Steam Big Picture in-game overlay. The Steam will use this type of overlay if the Steam client itself is running in the Big Picture mode or if Steam Input enabled controller is used. To access the configuration UI select the Controller Configuration choice in the overlay menu. If you did not configure the controller yet or have a configuration created for older version of the game, the best initial step is to apply official SCS configuration and modify it as necessary. To apply a configuration on the Controller Configuration select Browse Configs, go to the Recommended tab, select the configuration named Official Configuration for Euro Truck Simulator 2 and on the configuration preview screen select Apply Configuration.

Please note that when applying configuration which contains large changes, like it happened during the update to 1.35 or after some updates of Steam client, the binding configured in the UI might not work in the game. In that situation the game.log.txt will frequently contain messages such as [steam] Failed to resolve action set. The best way to solve this situation is to restart the Steam Client.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 216 comments
Cageymaru Jun 18, 2019 @ 6:36pm 
How does one start the truck and shut it off with the Steam Controller? Using the official bindings but I'm lost as to how to do this simple task. I am trying to rest at a truck stop. Sorry for asking as I figure I'm just blind. :)
Komfr  [developer] Jun 19, 2019 @ 2:40am 
Many actions in the official configurations are bound to long press to allow for more actions to be bound. Especially if the action is used infrequently (e.g. parking brake) or has a significant impact (e.g. turning off your engine). Unfortunately the Steam Input reporting mechanism does not provide that information so the game hint shows only the basic element without the information that it is a long press.

In our official binding the engine start/stop action is bound to long press on the right pad/stick.
ThreeSon Jun 27, 2019 @ 3:26pm 
There are some problems using this method with a PS4 controller. The main problem is that when applying the official PS4 configuration from SCS, it causes the in-game mouse cursor to be very jittery and overly sensitive, constantly "jumping" up the screen even when the analog stick is stationary.

Normally I would fix this by increasing the deadzone in the Steam controller configuration, but no matter how much I increase it, the problem still remains.
Ghost Jun 29, 2019 @ 9:51am 
Thank you very much for breaking the controls for the game <3
Mashed Buddha Jul 1, 2019 @ 9:11am 
The game no longer sees the Xbox 360 controller! All was fine before! Could you fix this because Steam recognizes the controller, I can move around client, and in the Steam settings you reference, there is Xbox config checked on and it is a Detected Controller.

The game no longer recognizes this controller AT ALL. Please fix asap.

Last edited by Mashed Buddha; Jul 1, 2019 @ 9:20am
DownyDawn Jul 6, 2019 @ 12:52pm 
Yeah only steam recognizes the xbox controller. I cant change the config ingame of the controller :x
CelestialDiablo Jul 13, 2019 @ 1:57pm 
Game is no longer detecting my flight sticks, even though windows sees them no problem, was working fine until this update.
Craig Jul 19, 2019 @ 7:27pm 
Just wondering if there has been a fix for the xbox controller not showing up in game
CelestialDiablo Jul 27, 2019 @ 3:42pm 
Day 40 since issues with this update have appeared, it seems like they are ignoring our cries for help.

SCS why have you forsaken us?

I said seems, does not necessarily mean they are in fact ignoring us, I'm sure they are working on the issue, but it would be nice if they gave us an update on the issue.
Last edited by CelestialDiablo; Jul 27, 2019 @ 3:45pm
MessiQuix Aug 5, 2019 @ 2:10pm 
So is there a fix for the Xbox controller not being recognized by the game or not. I dont want to have to install a mod when this should be working with the vanilla game
CelestialDiablo Sep 14, 2019 @ 11:24pm 
Day 90 since (and since original post was made) issues with this update have appeared, it seems like they are ignoring our cries for help.

SCS why have you forsaken us?

I said seems, does not necessarily mean they are in fact ignoring us, I'm sure they are working on the issue, but it would be nice if they gave us an update on the issue.
Last edited by CelestialDiablo; Sep 14, 2019 @ 11:25pm
Komfr  [developer] Oct 1, 2019 @ 8:01am 
The starting post of this thread mentions that if the controller is not showing in the game, it means that you opted it into the Steam controller support and you need to configure it through Steam.
ThreeSon Oct 1, 2019 @ 8:53am 
Originally posted by Komfr:
The starting post of this thread mentions that if the controller is not showing in the game, it means that you opted it into the Steam controller support and you need to configure it through Steam.

I have opted into Steam controller support, but the game's controller support doesn't work properly with a PS4 controller, as I described here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/270880/discussions/0/1639788130289267935/?tscn=1569942101#c1643167006261385551
CelestialDiablo Oct 1, 2019 @ 1:43pm 
Originally posted by Komfr:

I have done that (being opted in that is), but it still refuses to detect the input devices, my flight sticks (one throttle and one joystick) are not being detected by the game, and I know its not my equipment because other games and windows detect the devices just fine and show they working just fine.
irishstorm92 Oct 6, 2019 @ 11:19am 
I USE MY PS4 CONTROLLER AND I FIND ONCE AND A WHILE THE TRUCK SEEMS TO FREEZE UP STUCK ON FULL TURN AND THROTTLE ANBD I CRASH ALMOST EVERYTIME DUE TO THIS ISSUE AND IVE PUT A FEW DOLLARS INTO THIS GAME I WOULD LIKE IT TO WORK PROERLY..ANY ONE ELSE WITH THIS ISSUE
< >
Showing 1-15 of 216 comments
Per page: 1530 50