Assetto Corsa

Assetto Corsa

View Stats:
Scerion Jun 29 @ 5:12pm
Is this a parody of a racing simulator?!
I actually owned a Lotus Elise SC a few years back, so picked this up on sale to see how the sim compared. I've done a lot of trackdays IRL in the Lotus, and other brands since. This is NOTHING like the real car. It's hilarious! Not sure if it's supposed to be realistic, but when it can't even get around a sweeping bend at 40mph without ploughing straight into barriers, it's not exactly how a Lotus behaves on track. Also, it seems to have about 30 turns lock to lock :) I couldn't stop laughing, honestly! Well, it was only £1.50, and it gave me a laugh, so who cares, but I defintely won't be playing it again!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 110 comments
lx Jun 30 @ 12:05am 
im interested to hear more, about how it differs from reality, but im also interested to know how well you have done your hardware and game setup, to be as realistic as possible.
the car should have 2.8 rotations lock to lock, which seem to be so, as much as i can see.
stop laughing and tell about it. there world is lacking feedback, from people who can compare sim to real from experience.

but id agree, that there are things which are very funny and completely unrealistic. many things in the sims are just magic numbers dialed in, not physical simulations. and as every motorsport fan knows, one flap of the wings of the butterfly... i mean one drop of fuel, can make a lot of things happen.
thinking of that, they should be called emulators, not simulators. now isnt this funny.
peter Jun 30 @ 4:55am 
Originally posted by Scerion:
I actually owned a Lotus Elise SC a few years back, so picked this up on sale to see how the sim compared. I've done a lot of trackdays IRL in the Lotus, and other brands since. This is NOTHING like the real car. It's hilarious! Not sure if it's supposed to be realistic, but when it can't even get around a sweeping bend at 40mph without ploughing straight into barriers, it's not exactly how a Lotus behaves on track. Also, it seems to have about 30 turns lock to lock :) I couldn't stop laughing, honestly! Well, it was only £1.50, and it gave me a laugh, so who cares, but I defintely won't be playing it again!

Did you select the propper tires, what is your setup, racing seat with a good force feedback steering wheel and goof pedals?

I haven't driven the cars IRL, but I'm playing AC allmost since day 1 of the early access.
The tire model was one of the most often reworked parts in the sim, the devellopers where active with the community in the AC forum.
Also afaik, the devs drove alot of the cars IRL.

Also think about it, that sim was the reason for Porsche not to go with EA anymore but to give rights to Kunos.
Also based on AC are professional racing simulators for car manufactorers.
Scerion Jun 30 @ 6:08am 
Originally posted by peter:

Did you select the propper tires, what is your setup, racing seat with a good force feedback steering wheel and goof pedals?
Well my actual setup is a real track car, and around 20 years experience of racing at various circuits around the UK and Europe at this point. I have a steering wheel and pedals that I bought during COVID, to get my fix, but it's not the same. As for making tweaks, no, I used the standard car the game presents as the standard car. I know how a standard Elise SC performs, and also how a highly modified Elise SC performs (at least in the modified spec I ran before selling it for a different track car). This ain't it. Elises do not have massive understeer, especially when lifting off mid turn. The weight distribution is completely wrong. The way it accelerates is wrong, braking is ridiculous. I didn't try any other cars, so I'd hope they don't just use the same physics for every one of them, and just change the car model. Maybe they do, I don't know.
I haven't driven the cars IRL, but I'm playing AC allmost since day 1 of the early access.
The tire model was one of the most often reworked parts in the sim, the devellopers where active with the community in the AC forum.
Also afaik, the devs drove alot of the cars IRL.

Also think about it, that sim was the reason for Porsche not to go with EA anymore but to give rights to Kunos.
Also based on AC are professional racing simulators for car manufactorers.
That's like saying "Star Wars" is based on stories from NASA. Anyway, it's uninstalled, and not something I'd ever play again, as said. I'm sure it's fun if you have no experience of the actual cars, but it's not realistic at all. Have fun! Bye!
Scerion Jun 30 @ 6:36am 
Originally posted by lx:
im interested to hear more, about how it differs from reality, but im also interested to know how well you have done your hardware and game setup, to be as realistic as possible.
the car should have 2.8 rotations lock to lock, which seem to be so, as much as i can see.
stop laughing and tell about it. there world is lacking feedback, from people who can compare sim to real from experience.
As said in the other reply, I do have a wheel and peddles, and my gaming/work PC is pretty much at the top end for performance of any current game. Way overkill for this. The feeling of the car is all wrong (both for a standard car, and certainly from a highly modified track car, which I had before selling to upgrade to another make/model which I currently run). The weight is wrong (an Elise SC should not plough into corners like a shopping trolley, and should oversteer when lifting mid-corner, not just go straight off the track!), the feeling of acceleration, steering, and brakes are just arcade-like. I don't know what car they modelled, but it wasn't an Elise S2 SC.

I know it's not possible to recreate the racing experience - the physical movement of the car, sounds, feeling of weight and g-force, even how hard you're being pushed into the side of your seat makes a difference. I'm not going to spend more for a simulation setup than on my actual cars though! :) I have a lot of fun at track days, in the UK and Europe, both on track, and speaking with other owners before and after events (well, sometimes it depends on what happens during the event - my cars are track cars, and so I expect damage, but some don't :) ).

Weirdly the only driving game I really play currently is Forza Horizons, which is completely unrealistic, but doesn't present itself as anything but a fun racing game. A simulator should feel somewhat realistic, but this missed the mark with me completely. I don't really have much more feedback as I stopped after around 10-15 minutes, and most of that was probably messing with graphics and control settings.
but id agree, that there are things which are very funny and completely unrealistic. many things in the sims are just magic numbers dialed in, not physical simulations. and as every motorsport fan knows, one flap of the wings of the butterfly... i mean one drop of fuel, can make a lot of things happen.
thinking of that, they should be called emulators, not simulators. now isnt this funny.
You're probably right that emulators is a better term. Anyway, if you have fun with it, that's cool. I'd urge people to try actual track days though - because from what I've experienced here, it's a LOT different compared to this. I've uninstalled this, and won't be playing it again, but like I say, it gave me some laughs, so was worth the time :)
peter Jun 30 @ 7:48am 
[/quote]

so I'd hope they don't just use the same physics for every one of them, and just change the car model. Maybe they do, I don't know.
[/quote]

No, absolutely not, every car behaves completely different.
On road going cars, the base setup, if something is even changeable, is about as what the real car has.
thank you for letting us know a video game isn't real :steamhappy:
lx Jun 30 @ 8:37am 
id try a track day anytime, when they make it "free to play".
peter Jun 30 @ 8:47am 
So, I gave the Lotuis Elise SC a wee spin at Brands Hatch.
Semi Slicks, all other settings stock.
About 7 laps of familarisation before, sicne I didn't drive Brands Hatch and the Lotus in a very long time.

Made a mess out of a gear change in the last lap.

https://youtu.be/rdlpvW-gNXg
Last edited by peter; Jun 30 @ 8:58am
Scerion Jun 30 @ 8:48am 
Originally posted by ponciask8er:
If that's what you took from this, then you're not really equipped to engage in this discussion. Bye!
peter Jun 30 @ 9:03am 
If that's what you took from this, then you're not really equipped to engage in this discussion. Bye!
You know what the most importent part of a racing simulation is.

That the setup of the cars has a real effect (I suck at setting them up), that the cars have different characteristics, so that players can compete with each other.

Also, that there is no artificial balancing, as you would find it in an arcade game.

Yes, it would be nice if all teh cars behave 100% as in real life, but maybe that is not possible in all conditions.

Have you taken track conditions, temperature, Tire type and so on in to account?

Also as you can see in my video, the Lotus Elise SC on semi slikcs can take a corner at ober 40mph, just drive it propperly, some braking before to preload the front tires.

That said, I'm far from a very good race driver, actually didn't play any of the racing sims in several yers now, just came back to it yesterday but well at least I already managed to improve one of my times on the Nordschleife.
ponciask8er Jun 30 @ 11:33am 
My point being is your post is kind of pointless. What i took from your post is a boost about having an old lotus and your maybe a track day goon? But then you did say you raced for 20 years and that the game sucks because it inst exactly like your real life experience.

Your not engaging any discussion just slating the game and saying you have done track days before and sitting in a chair with a steering wheel and some pedals doesn't feel the same as IRL! well of course it doesn't!

What you should have maybe done is asked about settings etc and engaging in discussions of how to make this awesome game feel better for you so you can maybe get the kick your after, instead of saying its ♥♥♥♥.

You said you have been racing for 20 years, what did you race and what clubs. Just curious as i race cars too.
Last edited by ponciask8er; Jun 30 @ 11:37am
I think it is probably a combination of setting up your wheel and pedal as well as the in game settings.

I am no expert this game is used by a lot of race drivers for practice too. It is commonly refereed as the one of the closest simulation.

My friend use this game to learn breaking point and cornering angle and speed for the track he goes to. He has recreated his M4 in the game. He would drive the track in his M4 first, then comes home to tweak the settings in game as well as his wheels and pedals until the in game car behaves as close as his real car. Still not the same of course. some aspect better, some aspect worst.

Then he would practice in this game for a month. Then I went to track day with him and he went under 1:59 in real life. Although his time in simulation is faster.

The track is Button Willow in California. being under 2 minute is a good speed for that track.
Pororo Jun 30 @ 1:28pm 
I have no experience driving a lotus, but from an engineer's perspective, the physics engine that powers AC as well as their tyre model are very fundamentally sound and are very realistic. When it came out (10 years ago) it had a pretty revolutionary aero model which allowed for essentially infinite aerodynamic devices in any orientation to simulate virtually any aerodynamic configuration of a vehicle. Furthermore, all of the physics are handled by the Open Dynamics Engine, a widely used and well tested realtime physics engine.

For cars with good data, Assetto Corsa produces very realistic results, but thats just it, the cars need good data. Since the Lotus Elise SC in this game is quite old, it is possible that the data that Kunos used on it wasn't totally accurate, and that may be why it differs so much to your experience.

Like others have said, its also worth checking your force-feedback settings, and maybe a video of a lap you run (irl or on assetto) and compare for us. It'd be really cool if you could compare side by side.
lx Jul 1 @ 12:59am 
Originally posted by Pororo:
... Open Dynamics Engine, ...
insightful...
Scerion Jul 1 @ 7:54am 
My point being is...
I don't care. You've shown you're not mentally equipped for this conversation. So I didn't read your response.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 110 comments
Per page: 1530 50