Assetto Corsa

Assetto Corsa

View Stats:
sev May 20, 2023 @ 1:15am
Running the game under Linux with Proton-GE
Proton-GE 8.3 and later, combined with its updated protonfixes, seems to run Assetto Corsa just fine. With some tweaks you can also get Content Manager and CSP working. Most of the instructions spread about the Internet did not work for me, including downgrading to Proton 5.x.

Note that the install script that GE uses runs some commands using Proton 5.0 as of this writing, so you need that installed via Steam. You don't need it to run the game and you can delete it after you get Assetto Corsa working.

Install Assetto Corsa
  1. Install Proton 5.0; and Proton-GE 8.3 or greater, either through ProtonUp-Qt[davidotek.github.io] or manually[github.com].
  2. Delete WINE prefix from /path/to/SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata/244210 if already present, installed Mono and .NET from other Proton versions and protonfixes can cause problems with GE's protonfixes.
  3. Close Steam if it was running, then launch it again.
  4. Ensure the GE-Proton version you downloaded is selected in Steam > Assetto Corsa > Properties > Compatibility.
  5. Start AC, and wait. protonfixes is installing multiple versions of .NET, I guess the shotgun approach was used since I doubt all of that is really necessary, but it does work, as AC should open, eventually. If you launch Steam from terminal before launching AC, you can see what GE is doing.
That's it. You shouldn't need to do anything else and the game should just run.

Install Content Manager
  1. Copy Content Manager.exe to your /path/to/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/assettocorsa directory. You can open this directory from Steam by right clicking Assetto Corsa and navigating to Properties > Installed Files > Browse...
  2. Rename the file to Content Manger Safe.exe to disable hardware acceleration in CEF, which does not work and will give you black windows.
  3. To launch CM instead of the vanilla launcher, set your launch options from Steam by right clicking Assetto Corsa and setting to Properties > General > Launch Options to:
    c="%command%";sh -c "${c::-17}Content Manager Safe.exe'"
  4. Create a softlink to loginusers.vdf in the WINE prefix so CM can find your Steam user information:
    ln -s "$HOME/.steam/root/config/loginusers.vdf" '/path/to/SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata/244210/pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steam/config/loginusers.vdf'
  5. Launch CM and configure it.
Warnings
  1. Do not create a shortcut when CM gives the option, it will crash WINE as it uses an unimplemented function, and will continue to crash every time you start CM. Delete the shortcut from /path/to/SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata/244210/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs/Content Manager.lnk and delete your Content Manager configuration files from /path/to/SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata/244210/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/Local/AcTools Content Manager to stop this from happening.
  2. Do not use native Linux paths in the installer, without prefixing it with Z:. If you do, image previews and other features of CM will not work or cause CM to crash. For example, Steam Deck users should put Z:\home\deck\.steam\steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa as the path to AC when CM asks for it.

Custom Shaders Patch
  1. Install Protontricks[github.com].
  2. Run this command:
    protontricks 244210 winecfg
  3. In the window that opens, navigate to the Libraries tab, and add a new Native (Windows) override for dwrite.
Note that depending on which version of CSP you are running and which features you have enabled, you may need to install additional fonts:
  1. Download this file[files.acstuff.ru] and copy the system directory to /path/to/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/assettocorsa/content/fonts/.
  2. Run this command:
    protontricks 244210 corefonts

Do note that CSP versions between 0.1.79-preview5 to 0.1.80-preview108 do not work under WINE. You must use a version before 0.1.79-preview5 or after 0.1.80-preview108 or else CSP will fail to load. I can confirm CSP 0.1.80-preview218 (latest preview as of this writing) does work.

Information sources:
CSP GitHub issue #316[github.com]
Assetto Corsa: How to Play on Linux (Proton & Steam Deck)
Last edited by sev; Jan 4 @ 4:23pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 46 comments
The Shim Aug 8, 2023 @ 4:27am 
Works with Proton-GE 8-11 and 1.74 on Fedora. Mate, thank you because I had come up with my own way to do this but was missing the dwrite before the CSP install and you helped me get mine running after 6 attempts.

Dead Set CHAMPION!

Now the question is why we get black boxes in CM when using above 1.75?
Last edited by The Shim; Aug 8, 2023 @ 7:13am
lightwo Aug 18, 2023 @ 5:03am 
Unsuccessful. :<

Proton-GE 8-11 with dotnet48, d3d11 and vcrun2015 installed on top wasn't sufficient to get the game to run.

Maybe it makes a difference I am using an AMD GPU.

Edit: With 8-3, the game is stuck and there is no window to be seen.
Last edited by lightwo; Aug 18, 2023 @ 5:51am
lightwo Aug 18, 2023 @ 5:54am 
Also, discard and ignore the guide you linked, it appears to be an unauthorised web scrape that's also out of date.

The guide is actually here:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2828364666
sev Aug 18, 2023 @ 2:43pm 
Originally posted by Chiron:
Works with Proton-GE 8-11 and 1.74 on Fedora. Mate, thank you because I had come up with my own way to do this but was missing the dwrite before the CSP install and you helped me get mine running after 6 attempts.

Dead Set CHAMPION!

Now the question is why we get black boxes in CM when using above 1.75?
did you rename the executable? it must be Content Manager Safe to disable hardware acceleration.

Originally posted by lightwo:
Unsuccessful. :<

Proton-GE 8-11 with dotnet48, d3d11 and vcrun2015 installed on top wasn't sufficient to get the game to run.

Maybe it makes a difference I am using an AMD GPU.

Edit: With 8-3, the game is stuck and there is no window to be seen.
I have not had any problems with two different AMD GPUs.
You don't need to install anything using the latest Proton-GE. it should just work.

Originally posted by lightwo:
Also, discard and ignore the guide you linked, it appears to be an unauthorised web scrape that's also out of date.

The guide is actually here:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2828364666
ty
HeatSprint Oct 14, 2023 @ 6:20am 
@sev The intital steps is accurate if the person already has Proton 5 installed. The install hangs and says:
`
ProtonFixes[9925] INFO: Running protonfixes
ProtonFixes[9925] INFO: Running checks
ProtonFixes[9925] INFO: All checks successful
ProtonFixes[9925] INFO: Using global defaults for "Assetto Corsa" (244210)
ProtonFixes[9925] INFO: Using protonfix for "Assetto Corsa" (244210)
ProtonFixes[9925] INFO: Checking if winetricks dotnet472 is installed
ProtonFixes[9925] INFO: Removing the prefix at /home/smj/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/244210/pfx/ to recreate it with Proton 5
ProtonFixes[9925] INFO: Folder Proton 5.0/home/smj/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/244210/../../common/Proton 5.0
ProtonFixes Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/smj/.local/share/Steam/compatibilitytools.d/GE-Proton8-16/protonfixes/__init__.py", line 20, in <module>
fix.main()
File "/home/smj/.local/share/Steam/compatibilitytools.d/GE-Proton8-16/protonfixes/fix.py", line 118, in main
run_fix(game_id())
File "/home/smj/.local/share/Steam/compatibilitytools.d/GE-Proton8-16/protonfixes/fix.py", line 97, in run_fix
game_module.main()
File "/home/smj/.local/share/Steam/compatibilitytools.d/GE-Proton8-16/protonfixes/gamefixes/244210.py", line 14, in main
util.protontricks_proton_5('dotnet472') # seems to really need things from Proton 5 currently
File "/home/smj/.local/share/Steam/compatibilitytools.d/GE-Proton8-16/protonfixes/util.py", line 315, in protontricks_proton_5
raise Exception(message)
Exception: Ensure Proton 5.0 is installed. No Proton 5.0 was found at the expected path at /home/smj/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/244210/../../common/Proton 5.0/dist/bin/wine
wine: created the configuration directory '/home/smj/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/244210/pfx'
fsync: up and running.
`
Fix would be to simply run AssettoCorsa with *Proton 5.0* from the Compatibility settings for the game and then switch back to GE-Proton-xx
Last edited by HeatSprint; Oct 14, 2023 @ 6:21am
sev Oct 16, 2023 @ 12:23pm 
You only need it installed, you don't need to create the prefix with it.
☼radz Nov 29, 2023 @ 11:16am 
I'm using proton GE 8-20 and its working but i think i got a problem with Wine. CM is not showing any preview images and sometimes it crashes. Seems like Wine cant have total access of AC folder so it cant load the images, idk, help! :D

Edit: i was right, so i create a link to AC inside a folder that wine have access and fix the images problem.
Last edited by ☼radz; Nov 30, 2023 @ 11:38am
sev Dec 8, 2023 @ 5:52pm 
I don't really understand what you mean, and I can only imagine you are somehow running the game after having installed it from Windows or something. make sure you are mounting the drive with AC on it so that your user has full permissions, as that's what Windows expects. if necessary, chmod your AC folder to your user.
chmod -R you:you /your/ac/folder
76561198869973680 Dec 21, 2023 @ 9:48am 
Originally posted by ☼radz:
I'm using proton GE 8-20 and its working but i think i got a problem with Wine. CM is not showing any preview images and sometimes it crashes. Seems like Wine cant have total access of AC folder so it cant load the images, idk, help! :D

Edit: i was right, so i create a link to AC inside a folder that wine have access and fix the images problem.
I have the same issue. Could you please explain how to create the link in detail please
sev Dec 21, 2023 @ 3:53pm 
I am curious too cuz I have no idea what they're trying to say.
76561198869973680 Dec 22, 2023 @ 3:15am 
In my case and i don't no why, in content manager, all seems to work but the images does not appear.
In CM when you want to launch a race, the car image and the track image appear on the top left and you can choose another car or track. These 2 boxes don't show anything, just the image broken icon
sev Dec 22, 2023 @ 8:15am 
did you install the game under Windows? or perhaps did you copy your existing CM data into the proton prefix?
76561198869973680 Dec 22, 2023 @ 9:26am 
Originally posted by Derrick Um. Englewood Bombua:
did you install the game under Windows? or perhaps did you copy your existing CM data into the proton prefix?
I have a fresh install
Pop-OS
steam "deb"
protonup-QT
ProtonGE-8.25 (same issue with other version)

The game is install on windows too but the drive is not mount on my linux

this command doesn't work for me

c="%command%";sh -c "${c::-17}Content Manager Safe.exe'"

I have to use this one instead
/home/cyrille/.steam/debian-installation/compatibilitytools.d/GE-Proton8-25/proton waitforexitandrun /mnt/Data/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/assettocorsa/'Content Manager Safe.exe'; echo %command%

I have some error during the launch

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cyrille/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored. ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cyrille/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored. ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cyrille/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored. WARNING: discarding _NET_WM_PID 2 as invalid for X11 window - use specialized XCB_X11_TO_PID function! WARNING: discarding _NET_WM_PID 3 as invalid for X11 window - use specialized XCB_X11_TO_PID function! WARNING: discarding _NET_WM_PID 2 as invalid for X11 window - use specialized XCB_X11_TO_PID function! WARNING: discarding _NET_WM_PID 3 as invalid for X11 window - use specialized XCB_X11_TO_PID function! ProtonFixes[66134] INFO: Running protonfixes ProtonFixes[66134] INFO: Running checks ProtonFixes[66134] INFO: All checks successful ProtonFixes[66134] INFO: Using global defaults for "Assetto Corsa" (244210) ProtonFixes[66134] INFO: Using protonfix for "Assetto Corsa" (244210) ProtonFixes[66134] INFO: Checking if winetricks dotnet472 is installed ProtonFixes[66134] INFO: Checking if winetricks d3dx11_43 is installed ProtonFixes[66134] INFO: Checking if winetricks d3dcompiler_47 is installed ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cyrille/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored. ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cyrille/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored. ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cyrille/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored. ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cyrille/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored. ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cyrille/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored. fsync: up and running. wine: RLIMIT_NICE is <= 20, unable to use setpriority safely ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cyrille/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored. ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cyrille/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored. ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cyrille/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored. ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cyrille/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored. ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cyrille/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored. ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cyrille/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored. ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cyrille/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored. MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cyrille/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored. MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 244210 Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: 76561198869973680 [API loaded no] MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cyrille/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored. MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete
Last edited by Arstrak; Dec 22, 2023 @ 9:27am
sev Dec 22, 2023 @ 9:57am 
Originally posted by Arstrak:
this command doesn't work for me
it should work under all bourne shells including bash, unless Valve changed the layout of the command. still works for me as well.

I have some error during the launch
none of those are particularly meaningful and won't impact your experience.

I don't use Debian/derivatives but it doesn't matter much because the ProtonGE container uses a Debian image under the hood anyway. I believe this is more about file permissions/your game file structure than it is necessarily about your configuration or setup. perhaps if radz had been more eloquent we would have an answer for you.

are you perhaps using Steam native and not the Steam Ubuntu runtime? your command makes it look like you are. can you try with the runtime? I have never tried native with AC and there may be a package incompatibility that is causing issues.
Last edited by sev; Dec 22, 2023 @ 10:01am
76561198869973680 Dec 22, 2023 @ 11:10am 
Thanks for the reply

Originally posted by Derrick Um. Englewood Bombua:
your command makes it look like you are. can you try with the runtime? .

How can I try with the runtime.
Last edited by Arstrak; Dec 22, 2023 @ 11:11am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 46 comments
Per page: 1530 50