Darkest Dungeon® II

Darkest Dungeon® II

View Stats:
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
RedHookMichaela  [developer] Feb 6, 2023 @ 2:30pm
Darkest Dungeon II FAQ
Discussing Darkest Dungeon II

Please join us at https://discord.com/invite/darkestdungeon to discuss the game and provide any feedback as well

How to report an issue from inside the game
If you would like to report an issue from inside the game you can do that in two ways:
Hit F5 at any point in the game to take a screenshot and bring up our feedback form
Pause the game and click the Feedback button to bring up our feedback form

Platforms / Versions

Will it come to consoles, and when?
We are happy to announce that Darkest Dungeon II will be releasing to Playstation 4 and 5, Xbox Series X|S and Nintendo Switch on July 15, 2024.

Will there be Steam Deck and Gamepad support?
We are happy to report that we added both gamepad support and Steam Deck support for Darkest Dungeon II with our August 2023 - Chirurgeon's Table update.

Will we see a physical release?
We enjoyed making physical editions for DD1 and are interested in doing so for DD2. But we have nothing firm to announce at this time.

Will the game be released on Mac and/or Linux?
We want to support as many platforms as possible and will communicate relevant dates when appropriate.

Gameplay Questions

Why can’t I enter the mountain?
If you are at the final inn and are not able to access the mountain, this is because you have not killed a Lair Boss and equipped their trophy to your Stagecoach. You will need to obtain a trophy to access the mountain in Confessions 2-5. Our 1st Confession, Denial, is the only act that you do NOT need to get a Lair Boss trophy in order to access the mountain.

What are memories and what do they do?
Memories are buffs you are able to apply to a character in the Timeless Wood section of the Altar of Hope. You can apply memories after defeating a Confession boss. Each memory will remain with that hero as long as they are successful in their expedition.

Adding a memory to a character will also lock their quirks, name and hero path (though you can change the hero path at the Crossroads should you choose).

Every time a hero is victorious in a new, unique Confession they can have another memory invested in them, up to a maximum of 5 memories. Fallen heroes, or heroes on unsuccessful expeditions that abandon outside of an inn will forget their memories.

If I abandon an expedition, will I lose my memoried characters?
It depends on where you stop playing. If you abandon an expedition on the road, then you will lose your memoried characters. If you end your expedition at the inn, then you will be able to preserve your memoried characters and they will live to fight another day. You should always strive to reach the next inn if you can.

Do I need to put memories on a character as soon as they defeat a Confession boss?
Yes, if you do not put memories on your character they will not persist. That means if you want a character to have a memory, you need to add one in the Timeless Woods at the Altar of Hope immediately after defeating a Confession boss.

How do I earn Mastery points?
Mastery points are primarily earned via Hero Shrines and by battling at resistance encounters. They also have a chance to drop during road battles, and can be earned in miniboss battles, at some unique inns and from Animal Parts earned in Creature Dens. If you are playing the first Confession, Denial, you will gain 5 mastery points at the end of the Valley. All other Confessions will only give you 2 mastery points at the end of the Valley.

How do I hire the Bounty Hunter?
Once the Bounty Hunter has been unlocked at the Altar of Hope he can be hired at the Inn. The Bounty Hunter will appear at the Inn randomly. When he is available for hire his poster will appear above the fireplace so be sure to keep an eye out!

You are only able to hire the bounty hunter once per expedition.

Can I replace a hero if someone dies on the road?
If you have more than 4 characters unlocked in the Altar of Hope, you are able to pick which replacement hero (from the available pool) to bring into the party.… if you can make it to the next inn.

If you want an additional challenge you can also select a Random Hero to join your expedition. Each unlocked class can only replace a fallen hero once per expedition. If enough heroes die, or you haven’t unlocked any more characters you may not be able to fill your party.

Why are some of my skills locked?
Relationships can affect your skills. If you enter a negative relationship with a party member upon leaving the inn, some of your heroes’ skills will be cursed. Cursed skills are locked onto the heroes equipped skill bars, thus reducing their tactical flexibility. Cursed skills will be identifiable by the blue glow at the top of the affected skill icon.

Be sure to manage your relationships carefully. You can do this by paying attention to affinity while making decisions on the road, and by using select items at the inn such as pipeweed, whiskey and playing cards.

How do I save the game?
The game is constantly saving. You don’t need to complete a run in order to save. You can exit the game when you arrive at an inn, when you reach a new node, or even during combat. Your progress will be saved and you can load back to where you left off.

The game said it is restarting my expedition - is my save file lost?
When we push an update you may get an error message stating there was an issue loading your current expedition. New updates will typically invalidate your current expedition, but will NOT effect your Profile progress. All your save progress (Altar of Hope, character abilities, Confession unlocks etc.) will still be intact. Beginning a new journey will simply start a new expedition under your current Profile.

Will Butcher's Circus or any kind of multiplayer make its way into full release?
We love watching Butcher’s Circus matches! The whole DLC was great fun to build and release. However, only single player is planned for Darkest Dungeon II at this time.

TROUBLESHOOTING

My game is not acting in a strange manner (corpse clears instant kill enemies, torch dropping to 0 immediately, enemies healing over and over). Why is this happening?
If you are noticing odd behaviour in game, this is likely due to missing game files. The best way to resolve this issue is by quitting the game, verifying your game files, and then relaunching Darkest Dungeon II.

MODDING

How will the state of modding be on release, and how different will it be to mod DD2, will it be easier or harder? When released on Steam, will it have the workshop at launch ?
Modding has been an instrumental part of the DD1 community and it's something that we are passionate about supporting with DD2. However, just like what happened with DD1, we are unable to devote substantial time to providing official modding information and tools until after the 1.0 release.
Last edited by RedHookMichaela; Jul 1 @ 10:46am
Date Posted: Feb 6, 2023 @ 2:30pm