Dome Keeper
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
RawFury_Liz  [developer] Jun 20 @ 6:00am
Dome Keeper - A Keeper’s Duty Public Beta FAQ
Q. What is the Dome Keeper Public Beta
A. The upcoming Dome Keeper update ‘A Keeper’s Duty’ comes with a ton of changes as well as an engine upgrade (from Godot 3 to Godot 4). Due to the scope of this update and the inevitable issues with balance and stability, we’ve decided to open the new content up for Public Beta so that we can iron out these issues prior to the proper launch.

Q. Can anyone join the Public Beta
A. Yes! As long as you own Dome Keeper you can opt into the Public Beta.

Q. How do I opt in to the Beta?
A. It’s simple: Locate Dome Keeper in your Steam Library, right-click the game and go to properties, in here select ‘Betas’ tab from the side menu, open the drop-down menu called “Public Beta”

Q. Why would I want to join the Public Beta?
A. That depends on you! We hope that you, the Keepers, feel motivated to help us make this update phenomenal both in balance, content and stability by sending us feedback and reporting bugs. But if you want you can simply join to play around with all the new content early, should you so please.

Q. How can I be most helpful during the Public Beta?
A. The best way you can help us is by sending feedback or reporting bugs to us through our main channels. The best thing you can do is to send feedback and bug reports on our Discord[discord.com], this is our preferred space. But we appreciate if you use the Steam Forums for feedback and reports as well, just make sure to clearly label that you’re feedbacking on the Public Beta content to avoid confusion. To be clear though either one of these is fine, you do not need to send your feedback to both.

Q. What’s coming in the ‘A Keeper’s Duty’ Update?
A. More things to list in a simple FAQ! But we’re more than doubling the available Gadgets in the game, a brand new ‘Guild Assignment’ game mode, new supplements for all gadgets and weapons, new enemies and MORE! You can read more about the full scope of the update here.

Q. Is all of this available in the Public Beta?
A. Yes! As mentioned balance is not final but all of the above is in the game and functional (or should be..).

Q. Will I still be able to play the regular game if I join the Public Beta?
A. Yes! Absolutely! All you have to do is revert your selection in the Betas tab of the Properties as described above and you’re back to the live version of the game. Current run saves will not transfer between versions though so we suggest completing any run before switching unless you don’t mind them disappearing.

Q. So does switching to the Public Beta break savegames?
A. Yes, sort of but not in such a dramatic way, the only thing you stand to lose is your current ONGOING run within the game. All your meta progression and unlocks will remain unaffected so only if you have a saved run you wish to continue will the switch hinder you.

Q. Ok, that doesn’t sound so bad, what do I need to restore my save between the versions?
A. When you switch between the versions a new savefile is created and the old one is renamed. In order to do this, follow these steps:
  • Quit Dome Keeper
  • Nagivate to the files in your directory that corresponds to: C:\Users\YOUR_OS_USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Godot\app_userdata\Dome Keeper
  • Rename the following backup files by removing the "_backup_2024_6_18_12_53"
    • savegame_0_backup_2024_6_18_12_21.json
    • savegame_0_map_backup_2024_6_18_12_21.scn
    • savegame_full_backup_2024_6_18_12_53.json
  • Switch the branch
  • Voila!
Q. I don't see the build, what's up with that?
A. Try restarting/rebooting Steam and try again! Sometimes it just needs a reset.

Q. How does this all effect the Leaderboards?
A. Balance can change a lot during the beta. Because of this, prestige highscores might become unbeatable at some point, so we might have reset the prestige leaderboards after the public beta ends. Just as heads up :)
Last edited by RawFury_Liz; Jun 20 @ 7:21am