Still Wakes the Deep

Still Wakes the Deep

View Stats:
Poor Performance and V-Sync Won't Turn Aff
I jis didne kno.

No seriously. This games performance is all over the show and I want to know if i'm missing something here?
Also, when turning V-Sync off, it just switches itself back on, i know because its input lag is awful paired with a G-Sync monitor.

Aorus Master 3070
Intel i9 10900K
32GB ram
Installed on a Samsung 980 PRO NvME

Can someone suggest a fix?

Also, the game just hangs on load when going to a different area and hard locks, need to use task manager to completely kill the game.
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
Brumble Jun 28 @ 10:59am 
The games performance is absolutely fine, I had no issues at all so I'm afraid its a "you" issue.

1) Are you running your OS on the same m.2 drive you have your games on?
If so, no wonder it hangs. A game like this that's using full lumen, nanite etc and most of the "latest" games I'd strongly recommend having a separate drive if you haven't already.

2) Is that DDR4 or DDR5 ram?
DDR4 is absolutely slow these days if you havn't already upgraded to DDR5.
I never had any issue with Vsync, first thing I did was turn it off in game, like yourself I use a Gsync monitor so I have Vsync set in the Nvidia control panel.

Performance wise, you don't mention what resolution, etc so I cannot really comment there, with a 3090 at 4K it's always 60+ with DLSS/FSR or Xess.
Originally posted by Brumble:
The games performance is absolutely fine, I had no issues at all so I'm afraid its a "you" issue.

If so, no wonder it hangs. A game like this that's using full lumen, nanite etc and most of the "latest" games I'd strongly recommend having a separate drive if you haven't already.

1) Makes no difference
2) Makes no difference
Brumble Jun 28 @ 11:03am 
Originally posted by WeirdScienceX:

1) Makes no difference
2) Makes no difference

1) Load times will absolutely increase if you have your OS separate to your games/programs. Already been proven dozens of times.

2) Ram speed and threads obviously matter when it comes to games of this caliber. 3200hz ram compared to 6000hz ram would obviously matter.
Originally posted by WeirdScienceX:
1) Makes no difference
2) Makes no difference

1) Load times will absolutely increase if you have your OS separate to your games/programs. Already been proven dozens of times.

2) Ram speed and threads obviously matter when it comes to games of this caliber. 3200hz ram compared to 6000hz ram would obviously matter.
1) The only difference is load times, this will have 0 impact on performance for this game.
2) RAM speed makes negligible difference, especially with a game as small as this

https://www.pcmag.com/news/ddr5-vs-ddr4-how-much-performance-will-you-gain-from-todays-newest-ram
Last edited by WeirdScienceX; Jun 28 @ 11:08am
Brumble Jun 28 @ 11:18am 
1) Which is specifically why I mentioned it.
Sorry forgot to mention

Resolution is 3440x1440
No other game gives me issues and never has, this game however is all over the place. Went out a door, hard locked freeze on black screen. Before meeting the boss the same thing. Fell into the ocean the same thing. V-Sync will just not turn off no matter what.
OS is on a separate 980 Pro, I have another for games. All windows and drivers are up-to-date. I'm at a loss.
The only thing I can suggest is wait until a dev responds, they are quite active in this forum, unfortunately it's after 8PM in the UK so they might not be active until Monday.

If you know how to read .dmp files you will find them and XML at %LocalAppData%\Habitat\Saved\Crashes
The game appears to be still choppy even over 60fps and locked to 60fps but the freezing is definitely tied to full screen mode, if this is changed to windowed fullscreen the freezing during area change or death seems to be resolved.
'Ram speed and threads obviously matter when it comes to games of this caliber'

What calibre? The graphics are good, but nothing mind-blowing. The recent Resident Evil games look and run better.
SecretModeLiam  [developer] Jul 1 @ 2:00am 
Hey there.

The turning off/on V-sync setting not saving is a known issue and will be fixed in our First Patch. Apologies for this, and we thank you for your patience.

More on the first patch here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1622910/discussions/0/4345491756988100844/
Another issue discovered here, no matter the setting tested, when you go through the container to find your way to the helipad the game just completely crashes with an Unreal Engine Fatal Error, I can't get passed this area at all as it keeps happening. I did a fresh install of the game but this didn't help anything
SecretModeLiam  [developer] Jul 2 @ 1:17am 
Originally posted by RaWrAgExLOL:
Another issue discovered here, no matter the setting tested, when you go through the container to find your way to the helipad the game just completely crashes with an Unreal Engine Fatal Error, I can't get passed this area at all as it keeps happening. I did a fresh install of the game but this didn't help anything

Heya. Can you try making sure your graphics drivers are fully up to date and run the game as admin? We've seen both of those fix fatal errors.
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
Per page: 1530 50