Ipad Air Touch ID not working

Suddenly my fingerprint was not working on my Ipad Air 2020. I deleted all registered finger prints and tries to re register the finger prints but the moment i go to Add Fingerprint and put my finger on the power button nothing is showing as its getting finger print. The screen is empty instead of those red lines. Dont know what to do. Forced restarted, network resetted but nothing is working. Can anyone please help

iPad Air, iPadOS 17

Posted on Jul 1, 2024 4:10 PM

7 replies

Jul 2, 2024 4:06 AM in response to OsamaKhanTanoli

If the linked Apple Support page offers no remedy, you would be best advised to seek assistance directly from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page.

Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases from Apple devices using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to offer assistance:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Jul 2, 2024 5:47 PM in response to OsamaKhanTanoli

Yep, went through what you're going through. My son's iPad did exactly what yours is doing. I can't say for certain what's wrong with your iPad since every situation is unique on its own. However, since the symptoms are the same then your sensor may be done for.

I contacted Apple and spoke with a rep on the phone, they ran diagnostics on the iPad, and it showed the fingerprint reader was no longer operational. When I'd try to add a fingerprint, it wouldn't show anything but maybe a glimpse of a small red line and then would go back to being greyed out.

So, you can either live with it and revert to using a passcode or pay to have it repaired. Since I haven't attempted to make the repairs myself, I can't confirm if a third third-party home button with a fingerprint sensor will work since I know that Apple's OS will reject certain hardware.

Ipad Air Touch ID not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.