Does the OLEC Nano-texture display glass screen need protection?

I plan to use my brand new 11” M4 iPad Pro which arrived yesterday for working several hours a day on graphic art with the new Apple Pro Pencil. I previously worked on my iPad Pro 11” 2nd generation, but it isn’t charging now. My older 12” iPad Pro 1st generation is still with me and after getting around its issue with very low sensitivity of the screen, I have been able to use it to continue working on my art while waiting for the new iPad to arrive. Should I use a screen protector for the new iPad Pro? I paid for 2 TB, so it included a nano-texture display glass. I used to use screen protectors on all my iPads, but decided to go without years ago. It’s much nicer to see a work of art without film covering it. But with this new screen I’m completely out of my comfort zone and don’t want to unduly stress it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

iPad Air, iOS 10

Posted on Jun 27, 2024 4:58 PM

3 replies

Jul 3, 2024 8:07 AM in response to LotusPilot

LotusPilot wrote:

Third-party testing has demonstrated the new nano-texture glass to be much less resilient than the standard glass option. As such, the nano-texture finish is potentially more vulnerable to damage.

With the nano-texture glass sold as an option on some standalone Apple monitors and some iMacs, you needed to use a special polishing cloth when cleaning the glass. (You got a cleaning cloth with the monitor – and Apple sold extra ones for $19 each.)

I'm guessing that the deal is the same with iPads that have nano-texture glass, and that this is an indication of how carefully you need to treat that glass, both when polishing it, and when using the touch screen.

Jul 3, 2024 7:53 AM in response to LittleLady

Third-party testing has demonstrated the new nano-texture glass to be much less resilient than the standard glass option. As such, the nano-texture finish is potentially more vulnerable to damage.

Having already opted for the nano-texture finish, presumably to benefit from the reduced screen reflectivity, be aware that using a screen protector will remove all benefit gained though purchasing the nano-texture glass - as you will see reflections from the screen protector itself.

Use of a screen protector is largely personal choice - but there are considerations.

iPad screens are robust, but the anti-reflection treatment and oleophobic coating can be easily damaged by tiny grit/dust particles that are unavoidable in many environments. The oleophobic coating is a chemical sacrificial layer that will wear-out over time.

Your iPad screen is the single most expensive component of your iPad - whereas a screen protector is sacrificial layer that, if damaged, is easy and relatively cheap to replace.

Zagg and OtterBox are amongst the better manufacturers of tempered glass screen protectors - with good reputation. Always choose a screen protector from a well known brand - choosing a screen protector that is specifically designed for your iPad model.

Some users comment that a glass screen protector makes the screen very slippery when using the Apple Pencil. The alternative is a matt/textured film screen protector - but these have two principal disadvantages.

1) The textured film reduces clarity and contrast

2) Accelerated wear of the Pencil tip, necessitating frequent tip replacement.

Good quality tempered glass screen protectors from reputable manufacturers, that are designed for your iPad, will have absolutely no impact upon sensitivity or performance of the screen or usability of an Apple Pencil. By contrast, cheap “generic” screen protectors of any type, whether glass or film, can cause problems. The good options often include a money back guarantee.

Of available options, Zagg arguably have the best reputation; you are very unlikely to find reported issues or complaint with their screen protector products.

Does the OLEC Nano-texture display glass screen need protection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.