The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Castle Volkihar Redux - A Player Home
DiGiTaL CLeaNeR  [developer] Oct 8, 2013 @ 9:04am
FAQ & SOLUTIONS (bug report)
THIS IS A COMPILATION ARCHIVE OF ALL KNOWN PROBLEMS AND THEIR FIX or WORKAROUND.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hit Ctrl+F and your browser brings up a search box.. search for a keyword on this page!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DON'T WANT TO SCROLL THROUGH AND READ EVERYTHING TO FIND YOUR ANSWER? HIT CTRL+F ON YOUR KEYBOARD, THEN TYPE A KEY WORD YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. THEN HIT THE DOWN ARROW SEARCH BUTTONS!

If you have a bug to report, Please post it here! This way I can track it and we don't bury the comments section when we try to work on fixing your issue. I want to help you!

CASTLE VOLKIHAR REDUX REQUIREMENTS

1.) Must have the Dawnguard DLC purchased and installed
2.) Install anytime but, castle wont upgrade until you complete "Touching the Sky" (get Auriels bow)
3.) Doesnt matter if you choose vampire or dawnguard side
4.) No 3rd party tools or other mods needed to run Castle Volkihar Redux

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FAQ INDEX:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listed in order by most common:

FOLLOWERS NOT RESPONDING, OBJECTS MISSING, ETC., - MOST PROBLEMS FIXED FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS. CLICK HERE!

HEARTHFIRES ADOPTED CHILDREN IN CASTLE VOLKIHAR REDUX IS NOW POSSIBLE!

I CAN'T FIND VALERICA'S STUDY THE ENTRANCE PORTAL TO THE SOUL CAIRNE

REQUIREMENTS TO PLAY THIS MOD

MOD LOAD LIST ORDER - Extremely important reading!

DRAUGR GAURDS NPC's DO NOT RESPOND TO COMMANDS

WHY DO THE MANNEQUINS MOVE IN THE SLEEPING CHAMBER?

CASTLE IS TOO BIG I GET LOST

PORT OF CALL CANT FIND DEXTERNUS

VIEW MAPS / SCHEMATICS OF CASTLE VOLKIHAR

THE GARGOYLE KING FINAL BOSS IS TOO HARD TO BEAT!

FULL LIST OF QUESTS AND HOW TO START THEM. MOD NOT ACTIVE ENABLED NOT WORKING

GARGOYLES IN THRONE ROOM KEEP RE-SPAWNING EVERY TWO WEEKS OR SO

SERANA IS MISSING - CAN'T FIND SERANA

CORRUPT SAVES (a must read for all mod users!)

GARGOYLE KING ETHERAL SWORDS

MY SPOUSE HAS NO OPTION TO MOVE INTO MY HEARTHFIRES HOMES

WHERE IS THE CASTLE LOCATED?

THE NPC's KEEP ASKING ME TO LEAVE - VOLKIHAR VAMPIRES ATTACK ME = I AM NOT WELCOME IN THE CASTLE - NPC's ARE HOSTILE

BOAT TO GARGOYLE POINT CRASHED PC / CAN'T GO TO GARGOYLE POINT

HOW TO GET PAST MAGICAL BARRIER IN CATACOMBS / THRONE ROOM

KILLED THE GARGOYLE KING EARLY SOLUTION

CASTLE RESET AND I LOST MY BELONGINGS

QUEST FORTIFY VOLKIHAR DOESN'T WORK

QUEST "IT'S GOOD TO BE KING" GATE TO GARGOYLE KING WON'T OPEN

THIEVES GUILD UNBREAKABLE LOCK PICK BUG - SKELETON KEY BUG FIX

QUEST "RELEASING THE COVEN" I OPENED COFFINS BEFORE GETTING THE JOURNAL

QUEST "RELEASING THE COVEN" I CANT FIND BRUNARS JOURNAL

QUEST "THE BARE NECESSITIES OF LIFE" NO MAP MARKER

MY DAEDRIC OR AEDRIC ARTIFACTS LOSE THEIR ENCHANTMENT WHEN PLACED

MARRIABLE SERANA MOD *(Compatibility Fix)

TESEDit ERRORS REPORTED SHOULD I BE CONCERNED?

DRAGON ELDER SCROLL WILL NOT DISPLAY IN DAEDRIC TOWER

QUEST "THE SMELL OF DEATH" MAP MARKER MISSING

THE DAEDRIC SHRINE'S, DRAGON PRIEST MASK & CLAW HOLDERS ARENT GIVING MY ITEMS BACK

MOD CONFLICTS REPORT

MY SPOUSE or CHILDREN WON'T MOVE INTO CASTLE VOLKIHAR / CANT FIND HER

CANT FIND MY SPOUSE AFTER GETTING MARRIED AND INVITING TO VOLKIHAR

SERENA MOD's THAT CHANGE HER APPEARANCE DOES NOT WORK WITH THIS MOD:

I CAN'T USE THE MOLAG BAL ENCHANTMENT ON OTHER ARMOR

THE CASTLE DOES NOT UPGRADE. NOT ENABLED. NOT ACTIVE. NOT INSTALLED

STEAM ERROR'S (Such as error 16 > unable to download mods).

THE WALLS IN THE CASTLE COURTYARD VANISH or ARE TRANSPARENT

IS THERE A WAY TO UPGRADE THE CASTLE AND BYPASS ALL QUESTS WITH A CHEAT OR SECRET COMMAND?

NPC's FROM CASTLE VOLKIHAR SHOW UP AT YOUR WEDDING

MY SPOUSE WON'T MOVE TO CASTLE VOLKIHAR OR ANY OTHER HOME

HAGRAAVEN FIGHTS WITH SELENE IN THE COURTYARD

ENB MODS MAKE CASTLE VOLKIHAR DARK

SCREEN RESOLUTION ISSUE WITH MENU's CUT OFF

MANNEQUIN GLITCH

I got the message "COMPLETED: CASTLE VOLKIHAR A PLAYER HOME IS NOW ACTIVE".

CRASH TO DESKTOP (CTD) AFTER INSTALLING AND RUNNING THIS MOD

I CAN'T FIND THE SOUL CAIRN WHERE IS IT?

VALERICA WON'T LEAVE THE SOUL CAIRN

DAWNGUARD QUEST "KINDRED JUDGEMENT NOT STARTING"

TES5EDIT SHOWS ERRORS OUT OF ORDER

CRASH CTD WHEN ENTERING CASTLE VOLKIHAR GUILD HALL

ULTIMATE FINAL SOLUTION TO ALL ISSUES, BUGS, DISLIKES
Last edited by DiGiTaL CLeaNeR; Jun 12, 2018 @ 4:04pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 279 comments
DiGiTaL CLeaNeR  [developer] Oct 8, 2013 @ 9:09am 
----------------------------------------------------------
MISSING NPCs, STRANGE BEHAVIOR, OR QUESTS NOT WORKING
GUARDS OR GARGOYLES WON'T STOP FOLLOWING OR STOP FOLLOWING COMMANDS.

if you have other follower mods installed or mods that change the number of followers it will conflict with the follower script in this mod. Putting Castle Volkihar Redux at the bottom of your load list should fix this.

Guards and Gargoyles won't stop following or won't doing anything commanded. Keep in mind that draugrs and gargoyles are animal followers, not npc followers.

Uninstall and re-install this mod following the instructions in "reinstall" always fixes this. But, first try the fix below setting the playermanimalcount to 0 and see if that fixes the issue first.

==============================
Sometimes Skyrim's game engine gets confused if you have a companion or not, especially happens more often with animal followers (as you can have one person and one animal follower by vanilla Skyrim rules).

First, dismiss all pets. Then check to see if you have an animal follower that got lost or the game got confused if you had one. Using the following command in console should reveal 0 if you have no followers and 1 If you do have one:

Show playeranimalcount

If it comes back with a 1 than use the next console command:

Set playeranimalcount to 0

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
RE-INSTALL THIS MOD! THIS FIXES MOST ISSUES.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are still having issues with some things not working right, it could be you just need to re-download the mod. This fixes 99.9% of all problems. So try this first. Re-install twice. This is because this mod is so large and so close to the size limit on steam. It literally misses some of the critical files when downloading.

Do NOT play Skryim or make any saves during this process, otherwise, you'll reset Castle Volkihar and have to replay my missions and lose any stuff you stored in the castle;

MAKE A FULL SAVE (not a quick save) BEFORE DOING THIS!

1.) Unsubscribe from this mod on the steam workshop.
2.) Open up skyrim to the small splash screen but DO NOT CLICK PLAY! Let it "Synchronize Mods". You can see this on the bottom right hand corner. This uninstalls the mod.

See image here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=550382371

3.) DO NOT CLICK PLAY! Exit out of the splash screen, now re-subscribe to this mod again.
4.) Open up Skyrim to it's splash screen once more letting it "synchronize mods".

In effect what we just did here is re-download the mod. That's it. Now you can click play ;)

Why does this fix the issue? Because steam downloads can be fickle with large mods like this one. Re-installing it twice usually fixes basic download issues.

Also, try moving this mod to the bottom of your load order.

========================
ANIMAL FOLLOWER'S IGNORE YOU
========================
Click here to see how to un-glitch over count or lost followers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
MOD COMPATIBILITY
You have some kind of mod installed that allows for more NPC's to follow you or a mod that has altered the games main follower coding (scripts).

installing mods that change original Skyrim objects, scripts or variables that the game itself and other mods rely on will cause major problems. There is not a question of if it will break your game save but when.

For instance, mods that allow you to add more than the allotted two followers at a time change the games original scripts that control follower NPC's. Skyrim was not designed to have more than two followers (one animal and one person).
When a mod changes original scripts and files that the base game and other mods rely on it will cause bugs and sometimes eventual crashes to desktop.

When using modifications of you PC games one has to choose which mods to use based on their side effects with other mods or even Skyrim itself. The fact is eventually your Skyrim game save will be compromised by mods that change original game files.

Mods are supposed to make a copy of files, rename them and then make their changes. Mods that change the original game are guaranteed to cause problems at some point later on. It will seem random or will not appear until a mod is installed that relies on the changed original files.

For instance this mod relies on the original scripts for NPC's. If you install a mod that changes those scripts your game save may break or NPC's in this mod will stop responding. So another fix that works is to put this mod Castle Volkihar Redux last in the load order.

NEVER DELETE MODS! DISABLE THEM INSTEAD!
The main reason most people get corrupted save games is because they installed a mod, made a save, then deleted the mod!

Saved mod scripts can reap havoc on your skyrim game saves (as explained in the "saves" section below), however Bethesda knew this and included a tool in the "data" section of the splash screen that just "disables" a mod *(uncheck the box next to the mod to get rid of a mod, do NOT delete it!). This maintains the integrity of the save because the mod files and it's scripts are still on your local drive but the other unwanted parts are not loaded.

The "data" checkbox is functionality many people don't realize is there and unfortunately why it's not used. Because it takes a lot of self educating by reading long posts like this. Kudos! You are in the top 10% of PC gamers who are actually intelligent enough to solve their own problems by reading about them. PC gaming requires it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are experiencing issues with the Steam Wokrshop,
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Verify Integrity of Game Cache:
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/129969995/846966336549220989/#c630802344319248550

Having issues with Steam downloading?
Instructions how to fix steam download problems here:
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/129969995/846966336549220989/#c846966336550175678

-----------------------------------------------------
Too many save games causes issues!
*Having too many saves can cause problems and lag as well. Delete some of your saves!! You really should have no more than 30 saves if you can help it.

If you don't want to delete them, you can back up your saves to a new directory that Skyrim doesn't know about.
On windows 7:
documents > my games > Skyrim > Saves

Just make a folder named "Saves Backup" and drop any saves you want to cut back. Then, if you need them just move them back into "saves" again.

When you load skyrim, you load all the data from all your saves pictures and basic tags. This can not only reduce the amount of ram and hard disk cache you are using causing memory leak bugs.

Also if your hard drives are full this will significantly increase gameplay performance. Not because it's less stored on the drive, but because of the load saves put on skyrim's access to the hard drive. At least that is my opinion from testing it

If the above does not work try this
------------------------------------------------------
1.) Make a whole new game.

2.) Make a new save.

3.) Enable one mod at a time and go to the problem area until you know which mod/s are causing this.

I know this because when either I or my testers run into issues it's been due to other installed mods with bad scripts or changes directly to vanilla objects. This is the only true way to test what is causing the issue. If this doesnt work, your skyrim directory might be corrupt. Next step is to rename or delete the entire Skyrim folder and download a new one from scratch.

Corrupt Saves important reading!
Corrupt saves can happen anytime. Usually they are caused when someone removes a mod after creating a save. Never delete a mod after making a save! Try playing Skyrim with a new game or a save from before the offending mod was installed and you'll see the issue no longer exists.

Skyrim's game engine takes a snapshot of all scripts in a mod when you "save" your game progress. The game save remembers those scripts even after you delete mods. So when the game looks for the script from the mod you removed and it is not there, boom you can have major problems.
Or sometimes it can be because you added a mod that conflicts with another mod. Or you just installed a poison pill crappy mod. Sometimes corrupt saves just happen from normal gameplay. Hard drive error etc.

A save is a snapshot of everything going on in your game. Mods and their scripts, everything. Even if you delete mods, the save will remember their scripts! Because they are part of the snapshot and will remain in that save for all time!

That is why it is not recommended to uninstall mods midway through the game. If the mod installed any scripts, those scripts will remain active in your game save file which acts as the last mod loaded. If the script is triggered in the game and the mod is missing, it can cause a CTD or in the long run game instability. Some house mods have scripts that trigger on completing quest objectives in the vanilla game to display things. They can also modify a lot of other attributes of the game. It is better to leave the unneeded player house in place and just ignore it.

That being said, sometimes none of the above works, so here is the only known work around to try to rescue your corrupted save.

Clean Save Instructions:
*When you clean a save in this way, you will lose everything stored inside the mod you are scrubbing. So be sure to pull everything of value out first and put it in an unmodded vanilla house such as Breezehome.

How to fix a corrupt save:

1) Make a full save away from the castle (go far away from the mod to say, white run and make a "Full save" not a quick save).

2) Exit the game and disable the mod (or even all mods is best)

3) Fire up skyrim and make a new full save

4) Exit skyrim and enable the mod.

5) Fire up skyrim and wait 24 game hours. it should be fixed.

How to disable a mod, open skyrim to the small launch window and you'll see:

Play
Options
Data files
Tech support
Exit

See image here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=550382331

Click on "Data Files" > in this window simply checking or unchecking the little box next to the mod will enable or disable it. Check means enable, no check means disabled. This however does not 'uninstall' the mod. But we will try this first.

See image here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=550382349

Caveat you should know, all mods must be able to "update" or "download" fully while sitting and waiting for it while in this window. THe progress of mod updates is shown on the bottom right hand corner of the window.

But, truth be said , the only real way is to delete all mods and make a brand new game and new saves from it with nothing installed. Then carefully add reputable mods one by one and test them. Always keep a vanilla save that has no mods installed.

Difference between "Disabling" a mod and "Deleting" a mod are huge.
Saved mod scripts can reap havoc on your skyrim game saves (as explained in the "saves" section above), NOT RECOMMENDED but, inside the data window, you can highlight a mod and click "Delete Selected" and that mod will be deleted, not just disabled. But, not if those mods installed "loose files". They will remain.

Loose files:

If you have loose files that you downloaded with a mod from say the (virus ridden) nexus, you'll have to manually delete those. Knowing where they are and what they are named is the hard part. So bad scripts in loose file format can be like finding a needle in a haystack of needles. And if they changed the vanilla games scripts I'm afraid you might have to do a full re-install of skyrim.

How to re-install skyrim from scratch.
1.) Go to your games library in steam. Right click on Skyrim and choose "delete local content". Wait for it to finish.

2.) Using windows explore (Start+E), browse to C:\program files (x86) > steam > steamapps > common > skyrim........... rename the skyrim folder to "skyrim old" (right click rename)

3.) go back to your steam games library and re-download skyrim. This can take a while, but at least now you'll have a totally clean install to work with.

*You may also want to unsubscribe or disable all mods before doing step 3, then re-subscribe to each mod one at a time until you figure out which one was causing the issues.
**I also recommend that once you do delete all mods you make a full save on a new character.
***This save will serve as your vanilla clean save that you can always fall back on no matter what happens!

4.) I would not delete the folder of skyrim you renamed to "skyrim old" just yet. This way you can still go in there and get mods or other files you want later on. But if you know you'll never need anything else out of there go ahead and delete "skyrim old" to free up hard drive space.

Post Script
Remember, you went through all this process possibly because one of the mods you had installed was a poison pill degenerate piece of crap that sabotaged your saves, corrupted your skyrim etc.

So if you are going to start adding them back into that new install, make SURE you test them one at a time. By installing them one at a time and seeing what happens. That way it won't be a needle in a haystack 3 months later when you can't remember wtf you put where, and you'll know which one is causing these night mares.

I have always found that problem mods were the ones that changed vanilla skyrim scripting at it's base like followers, quests, animal behavior, existing NPC's behaviors.
I have never had an issue with mods that just give armors, clothes,.. i.e. custom objects.

When you look deeper at experienced mod author's work I see they make copies of everything and change it's name and anything associated with it is copied and renamed, especially scripts. Instead of the new guys who change the base objects directly, which is the cause of 90% of all these issues.

Why because as soon as something in the game tries to call to that changed vanilla script, variable or condition (and there are thousands of variables calling to one another all the time in skyrim) there will be a negative effect. Sometimes it takes a while before it catches up to your save or game files, sometimes it's immediate. It depends on thousands of things that are moving in random concert, depending on what you do or touch in the game.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by DiGiTaL CLeaNeR; May 23, 2018 @ 1:54pm
DiGiTaL CLeaNeR  [developer] Oct 8, 2013 @ 9:16am 
STEAM ERROR'S (Such as error 16, 18, 15, etc > unable to download mods).

I use to think this was steam messing up, but after testing on 2 different machines I know it isn't always the case. Usually it's a corrupted file or something on your local machine.

Things that have worked for me and many other people:

*First, try re-installing the mod
1.) Unsubscribe from the mod on the steam workshop.
2.) Open up skyrim to the splash screen but don't click play, let it "Synchronize Mod" on the bottom right hand corner. This uninstalls the mod.

3.) Exit out of the splash screen, now re-subscribe to this mod again.
4.) Open up Skyrim to it's splash screen once more letting it "synchronize mods".

In effect what we just did here is re-download the mod. That's it.

Or, you could try download this mod directly here: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/129969995/792924412159525434/

-------------------------------------
Error 16 means the server is busy. But, who really knows wtf causes it. When I had this issue and error 2 sometimes, I switched computers everything worked fine, so I know this is a local machine issue, as in either steam files are corrupted, or the game files themselves are corrupted. Or it has something to do with the "cloud sync" feature on steam. Not sure.

Here are some things you can try. Try one at a time, not all of them at once.

1.) Reboot your computer, let steam download an update
2.) Rename or delete clientregistry.blob (sometimes fixes this):

Article on how to delete clientregistry.blob:
http://www.extremusgaming.com/articles/2012/12/renaming-or-removing-clientregistry-steam

Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dwB1C-n-Q8

3.) validate skyrim files; here's a video how to do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC1uPtCucOs

4.) Sometimes the load order in "data" when you fireup skyrim, move any .esm files to the top of the load order.
5.) If that doesn't work, you'll need to re-install steam itself, maybe even skyrim.
6.) don't even use steam, download my mod on mediafire where I hosted it... the link is in the "Castle Volkihar Redux Manual Downloads": http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/129969995/792924412159525434/
Last edited by DiGiTaL CLeaNeR; Oct 23, 2015 @ 1:52am
DiGiTaL CLeaNeR  [developer] Oct 8, 2013 @ 9:19am 
HOW TO CHANGE LOAD ORDER

How to change load order: https://youtu.be/H1aEf3i0kUA

How to change your load order.
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/129969995/846966336549220989/#c630800446855040585
Last edited by DiGiTaL CLeaNeR; Jan 22, 2019 @ 12:50pm
DiGiTaL CLeaNeR  [developer] Oct 8, 2013 @ 9:26am 
THE WALLS IN THE CASTLE COURTYARD or TELEPORT TOWER VANISH or ARE TRANSPARENT

Using graphic and world upgrade mods requires a rig that has a strong video card. If you are experiencing this issue, more than likely your system is antiquated.

If the walls in the courtyard vanish, it's because your video settings are too high in skyrim. Turn them down, your rig can't draw all the stuff going on there. Those are very large objects and I added quite a few critters flying around, foliage and NPC's traversing the Courtyard. Antiquated systems simply cannot run this area. Skyrim is already a graphically intensive game.

Fixes:
Don't install graphic intensive mods if you don't have the system to run them.

When you first open skyrim from steam a splash screen comes up, click "options" and lower everything to the lowest setting. Even resolution, EVERYTHING! Turn off anisotrophic filtering & anti-aliasiing. Get your character out of there, turn your graphics back up and don't go to the courtyard anymore.

or if you are crashing and the above doesn't fix it try going to an earlier save from before you went to the castle courtyard.

Best fix for this issue: Get a new computer that runs computer games. Because if you can't see the courtyard, your system is not made for computer gaming in today's world.
Last edited by DiGiTaL CLeaNeR; Mar 15, 2015 @ 5:31pm
DiGiTaL CLeaNeR  [developer] Oct 8, 2013 @ 9:28am 
NPC's FROM CASTLE VOLKIHAR SHOW UP AT YOUR WEDDING

This is because they are tagged as the player's friend. Sorry but there is no fix for this, having too many friends isn't a bad thing is it?
DiGiTaL CLeaNeR  [developer] Oct 8, 2013 @ 9:29am 
HAGRAAVEN FIGHTS WITH SELENE IN THE COURTYARD

Don't worry, there are two haagraven's in the secret cave. One will never attack her, she's the follower, so don't worry about her. The one that is attacking her is just a mob and it is tagged to respawn at a later time so you lose nothing, no worries, just a bit of time needs to pass and she'll be alive again.
Last edited by DiGiTaL CLeaNeR; Oct 8, 2013 @ 9:36am
DiGiTaL CLeaNeR  [developer] Oct 8, 2013 @ 9:33am 
ENB MODS MAKE CASTLE VOLKIHAR DARK

I just added "Dwemer light switches" to most of the cells of the castle. Find them and turn off the lights. This should fix your issues with ENB.

It can also be a combination of things, like video card drivers, settings and enb, is a guess. There is nothing I can do to fix this since I did nothing with the lighting in these cells, they are vanilla "solitude" lighting templates.

When you mix mods, this will happen and you've got to make a choice between the two.
Last edited by DiGiTaL CLeaNeR; Dec 20, 2013 @ 11:34am
DiGiTaL CLeaNeR  [developer] Oct 8, 2013 @ 9:36am 
SCREEN RESOLUTION ISSUE WITH MENU's CUT OFF

Skyrim does not support 4:3 ratio's. This is not my mod's issue, it is a flaw with the game or even your video resolution settings.

Google is your friend! But it's my friend too so here I looked up the explanations for you:

Fix:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/60965409
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/61688914
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111111074344AAMILby
http://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/810919691040167609/

THE TELEPORTER MENU IS TOO BIG FOR YOUR SCREEN

Your settings for resolutions are incorrect. You need to change your resolution in your Skyrim video settings to match the screen resolution size of your desktop.

That being said, there is no way to make it fit with that many destinations on my end, sorry but there is no way for me to make it smaller unless I were to offer less travel options. Either way you lose, so for the people that do have their resolution correctly (which is the majority) set I am leaving this the way it is.
Last edited by DiGiTaL CLeaNeR; Jul 2, 2016 @ 3:42am
DiGiTaL CLeaNeR  [developer] Oct 8, 2013 @ 9:42am 
NPC's GATHER NEAR THE UNDERCROFT DOOR or GRAY FACED NPC's

This has been fixed with the latest version of "Castle Volkihar Redux". Here are instructions on how to update this mod:

First, make sure your mod is up to date.

1.) Open up skyrim to the small splash screen that says

Play
Options
Data files
Tech support
Exit

a.) On the bottom right of this splash screen you'll see your mods updating. Wait until it says "Finished synchronizing subscribed mods!".

b.) Click "Play" on the splash screen.

c.) Hopefully this will fix your issue.

If that didn't work try Fix #2

Fix #2

2.) Unsubscribe from this mod on the steam workshop.

a.) Open up skyrim to the small splash screen that says

Play
Options
Data files
Tech support
Exit

b.) On the bottom right of this splash screen you'll see your mods updating. Wait until it says "Finished synchronizing subscribed mods!".

c.) Click "Exit" on the splash screen.

d.) then go back to the steam workshop and resubscribe to this mod,

e.) start skyrim and again waiting for the splash screen to say "Finished synchronizing subscribed mods!".

f.) clcik "play" skyrim and see if the mod now works.

If that didn't work try Fix #3

Fix #3
--------

3.) You could download this mod manually from mediafire where I hosted it manually. Instructions and a link can be found here:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/129969995/792924412159525434/
Last edited by DiGiTaL CLeaNeR; Nov 8, 2015 @ 3:23am
DiGiTaL CLeaNeR  [developer] Oct 8, 2013 @ 10:38am 
SERANA IS BROKEN / SERENA MOD's THAT CHANGE HER APPEARANCE DOES NOT WORK WITH THIS MOD:

This mod does nothing to change Serana's appearance, her quests or anything else related to her.

If this mod did something to ruin Serana or any of the main protagonists within the main Dawnguard story line, there is no way it would be used by over 70,000 subscribers and highly rated by over 10,000 independent subscribers as well as being on the first page for all time best mods here on Steam.

I tested this and you can use mods that change the appearance of Serana while using this mod. However you must manage the load order.

Fix:

Change the load order by putting the mod that changes Serana last in the load order.

How to do change load order in Skyrim Special Edition:

Open up Skyrim SE to the first small splash screen:

Click "Play"
In the new window click "mods"
In this screen click "load order"
In this screen change the load order
(whichever mod is lowest in the list over rides the mods above them)

*Sometimes this process might fix conflicts, sometimes not

=================================
How to change regular Skyrim load order:
=================================

Open up skyrim to the small splash screen that says

Play
Options
Data files
Tech support
Exit

Click on "Data Files"

in this new window find the Serana mod, click on it (highlight it) and move it "down" to the bottom of the load order using the arrow buttons on this window.

Click "Ok".

You've just changed the order in which Skyrim loads mods. The last (down/bottom) mod loaded trumps the mod's above it.

-----------------------------

If that doesnt work try this:

PS
Make sure this mod has updated by doing the following:

Unsubscribe from this mod on the steam workshop, open up skyrim to the small splash screen that says

Play
Options
Data files
Tech support
Exit

a.) On the bottom right of this splash screen you'll see your mods updating. Wait until it says "Finished synchronizing subscribed mods!".

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=550382371

b.) Click "Exit" on the splash screen.

c.) then go back to the steam workshop and resubscribe to this mod,

d.) start skyrim and again waiting for the splash screen to say "Finished synchronizing subscribed mods!".

e.) clcik "play" skyrim and see if the mod now works.

Fix #3
--------

3.) You could download this mod manually from mediafire where I hosted it. Instructions and a link can be found here:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/129969995/792924412159525434/
Last edited by DiGiTaL CLeaNeR; Nov 10, 2016 @ 12:26pm
DiGiTaL CLeaNeR  [developer] Oct 8, 2013 @ 10:52am 
CRASH TO DESKTOP (CTD) AFTER INSTALLING AND RUNNING THIS MOD

This mod does not cause CTD's. Out of over 100,000 subscribers less than .01% mention this issue.
There are many reasons it may happen after installing a monster mod of this size. I know it is one of the things below.

1.) You have another mod that conflicts with this one. You can try changing the load order to see which one loading first may allow them to work together. Google is your friend, google search "skyrim" "mod" "change" "Load order".

2.) Your computer is not strong enough to run all the mods you have installed and this gigantic mod was the final straw that broke the camels back! Uninstall some mods. Be warned, your save will be broken if you uninstall mods it has in it's record. This only works if you start a fresh game with no saves.

3.) You have two versions of the same mod installed.

4.) Your graphics are turned up too high, when something big happens, like tons of animals it may cause a CTD. Turn your graphics way down and see if you can pass.

5.) Your save is corrupted. Mod scripts become a permanent part of any save. Even if you delete mods. Saves will remember all the other mods even if you uninstall them. So uninstalling them will make the problem worse for your save. If you installed a mod, made a save then uninstalled a mod, eventually it will cause major issues. If your save is ♥♥♥♥♥♥, start a whole new game with no saves.

6.) You need to re-download this mod. It is so large that sometimes for some odd reason steams servers do not give the entire file. Try these instructions here:
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/129969995/846966336549220989/#c846966336549568886

7.) There is a known bug in Skyrim, here is a post and directions on how to solve it:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2791993

8.) you have too many game saves. Delete some of your game saves, you should have no more than 30.

Go here for how to solve problems:
http://www.howtogeek.com/116225/6-steam-troubleshooting-tips/
Last edited by DiGiTaL CLeaNeR; Dec 5, 2017 @ 8:49am
DiGiTaL CLeaNeR  [developer] Oct 8, 2013 @ 11:13am 
This mod is NOT compatible with Hearthfires spouses: Moving your spouse into hearthfires homes will not be an option when using this mod. A hearthfires version was worked on. However it turns out it causes more issues than I am willing to deal with on a support level.

If you have any other mods that also make it possible to invite your marriage partner to it's home than it will conflict with this one. Whichever is lowest in the load order wins.

CANT FIND MY SPOUSE AFTER GETTING MARRIED AND INVITING TO VOLKIHAR
You have to own a house to get the option to move your spouse to a property. You will not own Castle Volkihar until you finish the entire Dawnguard questline.

Here is a picture of the dialogue menu ingame: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=550402600

This screenshot shows "Whiterun" as an option as well. Any house you own will show as an option to move in. All this mod does is "add" another option for Castle Volkihar.

However, if you have the HEARTHFIRES DLC installed it can cause issues if your spouse is saved to a Hearthfires home. See fix below under "I HAVE HEARTHFIRES AND MY WIFE IS MISSING".

It takes up to seven (7) in game days depending on where they traveled from, usually this is way down in Riften where you had the ceremony. Yes (7) days! Use your wait function!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I HAVE HEARTHFIRES AND MY WIFE IS MISSING:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you invited your wife to move to castle volkihar and she doesnt show up, and you have hearthfires installed, it could mean she can't leave the last hearthfires home you invited her to live in. This mod is not hearthfires dependant so it may cause bugs like this. Although we have no issues at all using hearthfires with it.

-----
FIX
-----
1.) Uninstall this mod
2.) Load a save from before you tried to move your spouse into Castle Volkihar
3.) Move the wife out of any Hearthfires homes to any other vanilla ingame home such as "Breezehome" in "Whiterun".
4.) Install this mod
5.) Invite your wife to move into Castle Volihar.

Locations Your Spouse Usually Hangs Out:
When he or she finally makes their journey to the castle, they will be hanging out in Valerica's Tower near the "Theater Box Seats".

Click here for more detail about the Tavern:
http://tes-mods.wikia.com/wiki/Volkihar_Tavern

Click here to see more about the Box Theater Seats
http://tes-mods.wikia.com/wiki/Box_Theater_Seats

Where your Spouse Wanders:
Sometimes they will wander (but only in Valerica's Tavern) for an hour and will be hard to find. Usually they will go to the library.

Go here to see more about the library: http://tes-mods.wikia.com/wiki/Volkihar_Library

Go here for Valerica's Tower: http://tes-mods.wikia.com/wiki/Valerica%27s_Tower

If you don't see him/her, simply stand next to the box seats and use the "wait" function in game until he/she shows up. Be sure to keep track of what time it is, remember your spouse goes to the Master Throne wing to sleep every morning, NOT AT NIGHT! You are in a vampire castle! Everyone sleeps in the daytime when at the castle.

----------------------------------
Where your Spouse Sleeps:
----------------------------------
Sometime around 4:30-5:30am your spouse will head to the Master Vampire wing and sleep in the Master Vampire Sleeping Chamber 4 hours. Vampire or not she will sleep in the coffin to the right of the Master Vampire's coffin.

Click here to see more detail about the Master Sleeping Quarters:
http://tes-mods.wikia.com/wiki/Master_Sleeping_Quarters

------------------------------------------------------------
Only the latest version of Castle Volkihar works!
------------------------------------------------------------
Latest version only. If you do not have this new release, please update this mod. Instructions on how to update here: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/129969995/846966336549220989/#c648812916836639077

MOVING CHILDREN INTO CASTLE VOLKIHAR / HEARTHFIRES VERSION
ADOPTED CHILDREN IN CASTLE VOLKIHAR REDUX IS NOW POSSIBLE!

I highly recommend you try this mod if you have Hearthfires.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=196709514
Hello folks I recently tested this mod out and was successful with bringing adopted children from a Hearthfires home. It took a few tries and I'll be making notes of where I put the markers.

1.) the front door was the actual front door to the castle
2.) the beds in the small hallway near the tavern in Valerica's Tower.
3.) the chests I used just outside the doors. I believe this is what finally made this mod work. It can't mark dressers as chests (but Im not sure about this).
4.) added a play spot in bathing pool North tower
5.) added play area outside near pond in courtyard
6.) added dummies in east tower top level training room
7.) added chores in torture chamber in valerica's tower
8.) added doll playing spot in church of molag bal
9.) added dining area at bottom of valerica's tower
10.) added a tavern as the heavy traffic area
11.) added coffin on right in throne sleeping chamber for wife
Last edited by DiGiTaL CLeaNeR; Apr 4, 2017 @ 10:20am
DiGiTaL CLeaNeR  [developer] Oct 9, 2013 @ 2:35pm 
VALERICA WON'T LEAVE THE SOUL CAIRN

This mod does NOT cause any bugs with Valerica not leaving the soul cairn! The only known problem that can arise is if you teleport out of the soul cairn instead of leaving using the portal you used to get in. This bug is part of the original vanilla version of Dawnguard and has nothing to do with this mod.

(in Skyrim SSE Valerica returns to the castle immediately)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WAIT 1 INGAME WEEK (24 hours x7)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valerica takes her sweet time leaving the soul cairne after you finish the final Dawnguard quest "Kindred Judgement" and go and talk to her to tell her the castle is now yours. Wait at least 1 in game week after you get her dialogue where she says she's moving back to the castle. This dialogue option only becomes available after Harkon has been defeated.

LEAVE VIA THE SOUL CAIRNE STAIRCASE! DO NOT TELEPORT OUT!
**Make sure you leave the soul cairn by the portal you came in! Do not teleport out after informing Valerica that Harkon has met his demise or she can bug out and not return to the castle!!!

To fix this, go back to the soul cairn, talk to her again, then leave via the portal you came in up the magic staircase into her study. Wait 7 ingame days (24 hours x7).

If that doesn't work you need to go back to a save from before you teleported out.

Where Valerica Hangs after going back to the castle.

Valerica will now hang out not only in her study, but in "Valerica's Tower"

After leaving the soul cairn after the final quest "Kindred Judgement" is finished, she will either be found in her study, the throne in the Vampire Tavern inside Valerica's Tower, or sleeping in her coffin in the torture chamber, or in the Volkihar Library.

Valerica's Tower Wiki: https://tes-mods.fandom.com/wiki/Valerica%27s_Tower
Volkihar Tavern Wiki: https://tes-mods.fandom.com/wiki/Volkihar_Tavern
Torture Chamber Wiki: https://tes-mods.fandom.com/wiki/Volkihar_Torture_Chamber

------------------------------
More on the vanilla valerica bug
------------------------------

Google is your friend. Every bug that befalls Castle Volkihar can't just be blamed on this mod. It is as close to bug free as it could possibly be. I've worked very hard at it.

Fix:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2854427

You'll probably need to do some research to figure out how to advance in the quest, maybe using console commands as shown in the link I just gave. Maybe a different quest is bugged for you, but the concept of how to fix it is the same.

To prove if the mod is the offender, simply uninstall it, roll back to a save from before said mod was installed and if the bug persists, it's not the mod in question.
Last edited by DiGiTaL CLeaNeR; Oct 9, 2020 @ 11:45am
DiGiTaL CLeaNeR  [developer] Oct 16, 2013 @ 3:19pm 
THE CASTLE DOES NOT UPGRADE THE MOD DOES NOT WORK

First off, this mod requires the following in order for it to work:

REQUIREMENTS

* Must have the Dawnguard DLC purchased and installed
* Install anytime but the castle wont upgrade until the quest "Touching the Sky"[www.uesp.net] (get Auriels bow) is completed.
* Doesnt matter if you choose Volkihar Vampire[www.uesp.net] or Dawnguard side[www.uesp.net]

Also, you may want to check and see if the quests are initialized before trying to use the fixes below. A full list of quests and how they start here: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/129969995/846966336549220989/#c630800444780232175

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF YOU HAVE MET THE ABOVE CRITERIA THEN FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS:

1.) Once subscribed and downloaded, this mod might not be "enabled" in the "Data" section of Skyrim

a.) Open up skyrim to the small splash screen that says

Play
Options
Data files
Tech support
Exit

b.) Click on "Data Files"

c.) in this new window find "Castle Volkihar Redux" mod, click on it (check the check box next to it.)

d.) Click "Ok".

e.) move Castle Volkihar Redux to the bottom of your load list.

You've just enabled this mod.

Fix #2

2.) DO NOT CLICK "PLAY" AT ANYTIME DURING THIS PROCESS OR LOSE ALL YOUR STUFF STORED INSIDE!
--------

1.) Re-download this mod.

a.) Go to the steam workshop and click the "unsubscribe" button
here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=129969995.

b.), open up skyrim to the small splash screen that says

Play
Options
Data files
Tech support
Exit

c.) On the bottom right of this splash screen you'll see your mods updating. Wait until it says "Finished synchronizing subscribed mods!".

d.) Click "Exit" on the splash screen.

e.) then go back to the steam workshop and resubscribe to this mod,

f.) start skyrim and again waiting for the splash screen to say "Finished synchronizing subscribed mods!".

g.) clcik "play" skyrim and see if the mod now works.

You can test to see if the mod is enabled in game; type this into console; coc dlc1cleanerthrone3

It should teleport you to the throne room. If it does not put you in the castle follow these instructions

If you don't know how to use the console in Skyrim: while in game, press the tilda key "~" it is the key right below your "Esc" key top left of your keyboard. That ill bring the console open.

Press the tilda key again to close the console.

Fix #3
--------

Instructions on how to clean a bad save here: Only for a last resort.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/129969995/846966336549220989/#c846966336549568886
Last edited by DiGiTaL CLeaNeR; Jul 29, 2016 @ 8:38pm
DiGiTaL CLeaNeR  [developer] Oct 16, 2013 @ 7:05pm 
SERANA IS MISSING - CAN'T FIND SERANA

Depending on where you are in your questline, if you get seperated from Serana she hangs out in the Volkihar Keep (guild hall). Check there first before doing anything else. If you lose an NPC, they might take up to an in game week to find their way back to their favorite spot.

If you are using an addon that changes NPC's it might be that which is causing this.
If you are using an addon that changes Serana, go to this link:
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/129969995/846966336549220989/#c846966336557760619

This is a vanilla bug associated with the Dawnguard DLC. this mod "Castle Volkihar Redux" does NOT cause this bug as it doesnt do anything to Serana at all.

Here are some links I found by using google:
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:232273

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120630102736AA5FWPC

Serana gets lost sometimes and will fail to progress with you in some situations.

The fix:

open the command console (PC - press the tilde).

Serana ref id: xx002b74 (for my install, the xx is '02', you might have to type "Help Serana" in console to find out what her ref id is)

Type the following in console:

prid 02002b74 <enter>

moveto player <enter>

Exit the console and she should be there.

--------

Your save could be corrupted, try this:
Last edited by DiGiTaL CLeaNeR; Apr 7, 2014 @ 11:30pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 279 comments
Per page: 1530 50